Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Enabling Wayland By Default, Initial Support For HDR-Capable Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    And I'll continue to patiently wait for this bug to be squashed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422529
    Despite I disagree with you in too many topics, I agree here with you. KDE config files should be stored in a proper subfolder and not this mess at home directory. I wonder what ngraham can say about it here and start a constructive discussion, it seems big projects such as GNOME and KDE lost contact with reality in many ways but he seems to be more communicative with users than other developers.

Leave a comment:

• R41N3R
    replied
    As the repository "kde-unstable" for Archlinux provides the Plasma 6 packages, I did upgrade one of my systems. So far it doesn't work to bad, much better than expected. I noticed that there is now a "plasma-renderer" application which allows you to switch between OpenGL, Software and Vulkan. Not sure if I had a special config on my system, but Vulkan was used on my system in Plasma 6 Wayland. This resulted in crashes when opening the start menu and then clicking to the desktop. Selecting software, shows on the plasma panel some strange symbols. But selecting OpenGL seems to work the best and there are much less crashes (of plasmashell and krunner). Overall I'm pretty impressed by the quality of Plasma 6 alpha, I expected it to be worse and now I'm quite optimistic now about the switch from Plasma 5 to 6 :-)

I think it is the right time to switch to Wayland by default. Great news!

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    What's the point of updating Breeze? People are still going to groan about it and act like the default appearance of an otherwise highly customizable interface is a valid reason to not use a DE.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Nice, I myself would love one of those for sure, but im the kind of person who really adores his 4k monitor, maybe one day Ill get one of those fancy monitor arms when I decide to upgrade or expand my monitors
    My current monitor is a 55" 4K TV. While nice for media consumption and video, 4K is overkill for my GPU playing games and there isn't a scaling solution that I find acceptable as well as it is a real pain in the ass to do text editing on a TV across the room. FSR ghosting is really bad on a 55" 4K screen since the pixels are spread out further.

I swear to god that they, AMD FSR devs, don't test stuff out on moronic consumer setups.

Leave a comment:

• aufkrawall
    replied
    Just yesterday, I was baffled about Ark zstd being only STed.
    Now, it would also be nice if file override prompt wouldn't display files to be replaced as 0 bytes in size. Not exactly a new issue, wonder what the bugtracker says.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I got a new monitor as my birthday present to myself. Amazon is saying it'll arrive on the 27th. If someone else hasn't tested it out by then, I'll try to remember to do it.

I can't tell you how excited I am to downgrade from a fixed 4K60 to 1440p144 21:9 with FreeSync Premium Pro.
    Nice, I myself would love one of those for sure, but im the kind of person who really adores his 4k monitor, maybe one day Ill get one of those fancy monitor arms when I decide to upgrade or expand my monitors

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    it will sure be nice if the HDR stuff can work with mpv. It seems like the hdr stuff uses some kind of vulkan layer as a layer inbetween to add VK_EXT_hdr_metadata‚Äč. I think this is what mpv should need. Wondering if anyone running the preliminary HDR stuff could test it since I wont be able to for a bit. it really would be nice since im relying on a pinned amdvlk version atm
    I got a new monitor as my birthday present to myself. Amazon is saying it'll arrive on the 27th. If someone else hasn't tested it out by then, I'll try to remember to do it.

I can't tell you how excited I am to downgrade from a fixed 4K60 to 1440p144 21:9 with FreeSync Premium Pro.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by avis View Post
    And I'll continue to patiently wait for this bug to be squashed: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=422529
    That's an annoying one, that's for sure. As far as I can tell, KDE programs and whatnot are the only things on my system that have plain text files under ~/.config. Everything else uses ~/.config/$name

Heck, some KDE color schemes still use ~/.kde4. Krita still uses ~/.local/share and not ~/.local/share/krita

That's all I've noticed. Some $HOME housecleaning and reorganization would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• avis
    replied

Leave a comment:

• guildem
    replied
    Time to try again for me too, I wasn't pleased by the kde3/4 versions, but a lot has changed since, and this could be interesting for an OOTB full DE installation !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X