GNOME Merge Requests Opened That Would Drop X.Org Session Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktopalipsis is coming! Desktruction!

This will be the destruction of Desktop Linux ecosystem, we're doomed...

Meanwhile, please try Arcan before the world ends...

Comment

Gnome and removing useful features, can one name a better iconic duo?

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
        You can find some used amd hd7770 for 10-15 bucks.
        Second that. Used this wonderfull card last summer after dropping stupid notebook with Novideo and moving to Ryzen desktop waiting for my RX6800XT. Worked surprisingly good, even capable of driving 2K 144Hz display over DP. Even tried some games - Vulkan worked, DXVK worked - though old GPU and 1Gb VRAM makes almost no game playable even with FSR1.

Comment

Why would a person, with something like RTX 3060 Ti and higher, buy and install a used feeble GPU to run Wayland when his Xorg session is working perfectly and allows to use features not available on AMD, i.e. CUDA/AI/fast RTRT?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
            This would be a great loss to Gnome, not the Luddites. Why? Wayland is mostly Linux only while Xorg is FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/etc.

Lastly, there's something solid behind Xorg and I tend to believe that one day people will get fed up with Wayland and introduce something saner, something more appropriate for the desktop. Xorg/X11 will most likely survive and outlive both Wayland and Gnome.
            Nope. Xorg is dead and has been for a while already. Wayland will stay here forever even if the devs figure out a better way for building on top of the protocol than rewriting every last bit independent of one another. I'm not sure that Gnome and KDE will ever diverge from their current paths, but even second-tier projects like XFCE will need a unified community that builds on top of a common base library.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
              Nope. Xorg is dead and has been for a while already. Wayland will stay here forever even if the devs figure out a better way for building on top of the protocol than rewriting every last bit independent of one another. I'm not sure that Gnome and KDE will ever diverge from their current paths, but even second-tier projects like XFCE will need a unified community that builds on top of a common base library.
              "Dead" Xorg works perfectly on my three PCs. Modern Wayland works on none (I'm an XFCE user).

"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - Xorg.

Wayland support in XFCE has been progressing nicely but extremely slowly. While most features of the DE are now working, they are still missing Wayland XFWM. There's an experimental fork on github but it's hacked by a third party and there's been no talks about merging it with mainline.
              Last edited by avis; 09 October 2023, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Maybe find a new job? You can find some used amd hd7770 for 10-15 bucks. By selling your old nvidia you might even profit.
                I wonder how much support such a gpu will have now. Keep on rejecting modernity.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

I wonder how much support such a gpu will have now. Keep on rejecting modernity.
                  More than kepler that's for sure. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

"Dead" Xorg works perfectly on my three PCs. Modern Wayland works on none (I'm an XFCE user).

"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - Xorg.
                    Yeah, if the BSD forks/flavors keep using it, it can't be that bad? Wayland still has a lot of issues and bugs.

I already explained why amd gpus in Linux are not an option yet (at the moment) and why they suck.

Comment

Anything that kills GNOME further would be good.

Comment

Working...
                      X