GNOME Merge Requests Opened That Would Drop X.Org Session Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by avis View Post
    A single one will suffice. Google is all yours. I've been asking for this for over five years now. Not a single exposer has managed to provide any.
    I guess it is time to expose the real poser.

One of the first things to do when you are running a Linux server is to disable GUI since X11 is a security risk. ​

X is an architecture-independent system for remote graphical user interfaces and input device capabilities. Each person using a networked terminal has the ability to interact

X11 for Windows systems is a graphical window system common to Unix and Linux implementations and found in Windows software such as…

What are some of the security concerns and reasons either for or against allowing X11 Forwarding. I have generally taken an approach of not allowing it under the blanket guise of security. Recent...

In this article, we are going to see how to exploit the x11Server Unauthenticated Access vulnerability which is associated with the CVE-1999-0526. How bad i

💡The X Window System, often called X11 or Xorg, is a prevalent display server protocol that facilitates user interaction with graphical interfaces on a remote computer. 🖥️ This system is…

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Originally posted by LockedPotato View Post

I'm sure all the anons on /g/ are very impressed with your AI generated waifus.
      Can you show us your waifus? Wanker community will welcome you, lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        What are the "security features" on it? That's literally what makes Wayland such a garbage toy for some of us. For example: unable to query absolute window positions or move them (this includes your scripts).

Move then is meant to be under at-spi2.

Of course compositors not having good support for at-spi2 is not exactly a new problem.

Remember Linux at-spi2 is based of atspi from Microsoft. Interesting point Microsoft atspi you send messages of input to windows this results in if user moves windows sent input cannot go to the wrong window.

Scripts controlling desktop do have common issues where they use decides to do something while they are still running if they are not done by atspi of causing something unexpected at times to happen on end users. Yes end user thought the script had ended when it had not.

Wayland protocol has habit of security and not implementing broken.

The annoying part here is atspi was designed for those with disabilities that need scripting to function correctly even if they set of many of them at the same time. Basically no odd ball interactions between scripts. This is not just a security problem Weasel.
        Yes I do find it highly annoying that atspi2 support by Wayland compositors have been so far on the back burner.
        Last edited by oiaohm; 10 October 2023, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dec05eba View Post
          Or nvidia users. Not everybody is rich enough to buy an amd graphics card to replace their existing nvidia graphics card. xwayland still has tons of graphical glitches with nvidia and even when using pure wayland on nvidia there are tons of software crashes. Nvidia has been making patches in xwayland and other parts but it hasn't been merged for over 1 year now.
          Nvidia is the most expensive brand name in the gpu world these people who can afford the punishment to buy a new AMD gpu.

real poor people could never afford a nvidia gpu in the first place.
          Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

This would be a great loss to Gnome, not the Luddites. Why? Wayland is mostly Linux only while Xorg is FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/etc.
            Lastly, there's something solid behind Xorg and I tend to believe that one day people will get fed up with Wayland and introduce something saner, something more appropriate for the desktop. Xorg/X11 will most likely survive and outlive both Wayland and Gnome.
            And you don't get fans by dropping support for something with a proven track record.
            Nope, check the diff, they are dropping X11 support.
            Wayland fans love to see NVIDIA users suffer.
            closed source people deserve to suffer.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Wayland fans love to see NVIDIA users suffer.
              I don't, but I'd say fuck them, that's what they deserve.

There was another crying not to be rich enough to afford an AMD card: they're way cheaper and it's so easy to sell the Nvidia one! We are consumer first than human being.. the only weapon left is your brain and wallet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                Gnome and removing useful features, can one name a better iconic duo?
                You've being gifted a huge feature called "security", stop being asinine and crying

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post
                  Nvidia is the most expensive brand name in the gpu world these people who can afford the punishment to buy a new AMD gpu.
                  This is simple miss.

Try to by a new system without a intel or AMD GPU you will notice you get to server/workstation CPU before that is the case. Like all AM5 cpus include APU. Same with all your current generation Intel CPUs containing igpu that are not workstation class. Yes AMD threadripper 7000.

So the reality is most people will be able to use their computer even if the Nvidia GPU is 100 percent bricked if their system is relatively new.

Its very important to get the AMD/Intel GPU drivers working because like it or not they have the biggest market share. With Nvidia mostly being a subset inside the AMD/Intel market share.

Majority of distributions users not give distribution reason to bend knee to Nvidia because not having Nvidia support is not going to make users computer totally not usable. Same applies to Gnome/KDE and so on.

Comment

• Originally posted by qarium View Post

closed source people deserve to suffer.
                    Just like RHEL ones 😬

Comment

• Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I agree.

Despite what many trolls say against Wayland, they surprisingly have very valid points.

The main reasoning behind switching from Xorg to Wayland are the massive buggy codebase with lots of legacy code.

Those are very valid points, but feature parity and future proof should be taken seriously into consideration. Right now and after 15 years, Wayland is quite incomplete and struggling to get even feature complete implementations. Maybe others don't see it this way, but it's a total failure for me.

Even PulseAudio finally managed to considerably improve a lot over time, despite massive design flaws it had. Now there's PipeWire and WirePlumber.

That's why I see Arcan or it's concept the future. A common codebase, modern technologies, a proper network aware protocol and a proper evolution of CLI in the notty style. User Interface on Linux must evolve, both graphics and CLI. Despite the trend, I will always disagree and feel we are in a technological dystopia.

Linux ecosystem needs to properly evolve, with powerful solutions and not design over thousands of obsolete layers.

Graphics toolkits are a nightmare too, but that's another topic.
                      Probably exactly what everybody else's opinion is too.

In order for something to succeed, need/require a major or almost complete agreement within the community. The reason why all these recent projects have others revolting, due to either bugs or lack of proper coding, for one reason or another. And I'm glad too, else I would have been forced into running pulseaudio, pipewire, wayland, systemd, rust, etc... (Regardless, rust has been forcing itself in between the cracks.) None of this much upsets me... I just avoid the stuff and stick with what works, and always has just worked.

Comment

Working...
                      X