No announcement yet.

GNOME Merge Requests Opened That Would Drop X.Org Session Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else were you expecting from a project that's run by people who are known for removing features and couldn't wrap their heads around why sharpness is important when discussing a bug that makes text blurry? These are the same people who couldn't add thumbnails to a file picker in 18 years and rationalize it by blaming users and claiming they are just volunteers without enough manpower while simultaneously being employed by Redhat and somehow having enough manpower to transition from GNOME 2 to 3 to 4. GNOME, unlike normal projects, doesn't have a bus factor, it has the opposite. The sooner GNOME devs have less influence over the Linux landscape, the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      One word: CUDA.
      Proprietary vendor lock-in shitware. Keep it.

Comment

• While the Xorg and Wayland discussion rages, let's not forget about the fallen: Mir.

Will someone please think of Mir? Can't find it at the bottom of the trash bin.

Maybe andre30correia ?

Whatever you are using, at least it's most likely Xorg or Wayland-based and not that Mir NIH crap.

Comment

• Originally posted by sindex View Post
          Update:
          Lol, I just saw new (merged) merge requests for idle-inhibit, they've been closing issues for years. These people are stubborn af and can't admit it when they're wrong.
          which merge request? I would like to see.

But isnt merging the code evidence that they CAN and DO admit it if they are wrong?

Surely if your sentiment was true, they would never merge it?
          Last edited by You-; 09 October 2023, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oleid View Post

Gnome has remote desktop support built-in, no need for tigervnc

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Mutter/RemoteDesktop
            It doesn’t work with a headless setup.

Comment

• Originally posted by williamthrilliam View Post

It doesn’t work with a headless setup.
              Not yet. Hopefully it will soon.
              I wish they would hurry with headless RDP instead of dropping X11.

Comment

• gnome should have done this years ago. even now this step is silly, as they aren't ripping out the code and focusing the architecture to be wayland only, just making it slightly harder to use X11.

The gnome architecture is a hot mess, and the only chance they can start to clean it up is to be wayland only and start to move the panel (dash) code out of the compositor and into a separate process with a wayland or dbus or whatever protocol for communications to the compositor.

Comment

• Originally posted by LightBit View Post

Not yet. Hopefully it will soon.
                  I wish they would hurry with headless RDP instead of dropping X11.
                  Different developers with different expertise. its not a single entity, but multiple developers developing separate components, sometimes cooperatively.

You wouldnt go to your optician for a kidney transplant. "but I have an appointment for an optician anyway, why book a separate surgery for my kidney?"

Comment

• Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    I bet that Brandon feller is behind all this.

Let's GNOME Brandon.

But if this lights a fire to get color management, HDR, remote screens, etc working on different Wayland desktops, cool. I like that KDE is doing the same thing. Besides, it's not like it isn't a package install away. One less package and 14.2KB freed should make all the minimalist people happy.
                    That's where I am with it. I understand that Gnome is pushing the envelope to drop legacy, I guess their view on cost/benefit ratio says go for it.

Sitting on the sidelines and only using Gnome sparingly, I am okay with it encouraging improvements to wayland tooling and utilities -- as a Sway user that benefits me and I'm sure Hyprland and other wayland people will have no problem with it when things go from good to better.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post
                      "Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - Xorg.
                      Ah, Spec Ops: The Line quote, NICE!

Comment

Working...
                      X