System76 COSMIC Desktop Ironing Out Support For Themes, Application API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Maybe it varies per country, but in some countries, the Easter Bunny is considered a very atheist thing. Therefore, very Christian families in those countries want nothing to do with it and thus don't expose their kids to it (if the EB is allowed in said country in the first place). In other words, they're not waiting for the Easter Bunny as he/she won't come to their house, and I'm not waiting for Cosmic because it won't come to my house.

(I was raised Christian too, even though I'm now an atheist, but my parents weren't so strict about it.)
    I understood it the way you say it, too.

Comment

For those of you wondering about Cosmic theming, GTK and Qt app appearance, Rust, and so much more, I recommend you listen to Brodie Robinson's 2 hr interview or so with Jeremy Soller of System 76 and ReduxOS. He answers a lot of questions and it's both a terrific Pop OS history lesson and insight into what's going on with Cosmic development now and into the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioswlaxdhSA

Comment

Originally posted by Iiari View Post
        For those of you wondering about Cosmic theming, GTK and Qt app appearance, Rust, and so much more, I recommend you listen to Brodie Robinson's 2 hr interview or so with Jeremy Soller of System 76 and ReduxOS. He answers a lot of questions and it's both a terrific Pop OS history lesson and insight into what's going on with Cosmic development now and into the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioswlaxdhSA
        must have missed this thx

Comment

Originally posted by Iiari View Post
          tl;dw anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post

Basically like what elementaryOS has done. Saying you are one your own if non-native apps are used on your system. That being said, I do hope they can get the find tuning for goth Qt and Gtk apps. For me at least I use both on a daily basis. I think KDE Plasma 5 has done a superb job of this out of the box, while GNOME really hasn't as they don't care to. So with Ubuntu installs I have to have add the Qt5 library and modify my profile to use Gtk 2 theme for Qt apps.
            They'll use the Goth2Boss API

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              Well, Gnome _looks_ good, so why go away from a style they liked.
              I guess Gnome is an excellent example of "beauty in the eye of the beholder" because my initial impression of Gnome Shell was always poor and it only got worse as I had to actually use it.
              PS: regarding the simpler and more standardized themes we have today compared to the ugly Winamp era, I think it’s a huge win for taste and quality.
              I found one WinAmp skin I particularly liked and stuck with that until WinAmp finally died... I was a fairly early WinAmp user, I think 0.91 or something came on a magazine cover disc.

There is a significant difference, however, between quality and usability (taste is individual, so that I'll leave alone) versus standardisation and simplicity. Simplicity of form is good, so long as it does not get in the way of utility and purpose.
              Regarding cosmic-terminal, a builtin dropdown mode like guake/yakuake would be terrific!
              Agreed!

Comment

I boot to TTY and then choose between Wayland KDE Plasma and labwc, depending on mood, usually, though, into labwc because it is just so dayum quick.

So I am probably not target group of COSMIC.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
                  I boot to TTY and then choose between Wayland KDE Plasma and labwc, depending on mood, usually, though, into labwc because it is just so dayum quick.

So I am probably not target group of COSMIC.
                  how does the above relate to you not being a target group of cosmic?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

how does the above relate to you not being a target group of cosmic?
                    Dunno, it feels quite integrated and a bit heavy and opinionated to me. Just a feeling. Btw and because I'm currently too lazy to search: can it already be tested?

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Dunno, it feels quite integrated and a bit heavy and opinionated to me. Just a feeling. Btw and because I'm currently too lazy to search: can it already be tested?
                      yes, I have pkgbuild scripts for arch for individual components, AUR also has a meta pkgbuild. or you can run the just command from cosmic-epoch.

Cosmic-epoch itself has very little interdependence for the major components, im not sure if it will stay this way though.

but as is, Im currently using the runner and application launcher via sway directly. and conversely, you can use cosmic-comp directly too have a small script on my laptop that lets me use cosmic-comp as a sway like environment with waybar and rofi.

EDIT: I should note it's still very alpha, doesn't even support touch yet for me
                      Last edited by Quackdoc; 14 August 2023, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X