System76 COSMIC Desktop Ironing Out Support For Themes, Application API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
    so, is it gtk or qt based? or something totally different?
    It's using something totally different called Iced - https://github.com/iced-rs/iced
    Last edited by loligans; 12 August 2023, 07:10 PM. Reason: It'd -> It's

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      It's not the responsibility of a DE to make apps be consistent with its style, that's up to app developers and/or toolkit to choose to do.
      While I agree with you, if System76 want to have people purchasing their hardware and having a good experience with their custom desktop environment, ultimately it will be on them to try to make things look sane and consistent. Whether this involves trying to triage and bandage GTK/Qt applications, or work with developers to add Cosmic support to their applications or forking them, customising their UI to be consistent with their DE and then basically shrugging and saying "you're on your own if you want to run non-native applications"... well, only time will tell.

This still looks too much like Gnome Shell for me. That said, I'm not the target demographic for this. That said, I'm investigating to switching to KDE from Cinnamon due to recent "improvements"/rebases adding burger menus, and on a couple of systems I've headed back to Openbox (with minimal customisation)... also been playing with Hyprland, but still don't feel that is really ready, although progress over the last six months has been nothing short of astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I'm waiting for it like a kid from a very Christian family waiting for the Easter Bunny.
        Soo... basically like any other kid, just so repressed and scared of his parents fanatically abusive enforcement of tenant compliance that he's afraid of enjoying biting the ear off a chocolate bunny?

... might know a thing or two about internal fundamentalist Christian family situations...

As for COSMIC... meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          This still looks too much like Gnome Shell for me.
          In the past the distinguished look of a Linux distro was important. Now everything looks like vanilla version of one of the few common desktop environments. It's not that hard, you have 1-2 versions of the main 2 GUI toolkits and you draw similar skin into both of them. Interetingly unlike in the good old days, it's now cost prohibitive (the same like Disney can't draw a movie in the classic style anymore).

Comment

While I agree with you, if System76 want to have people purchasing their hardware and having a good experience with their custom desktop environment, ultimately it will be on them to try to make things look sane and consistent. Whether this involves trying to triage and bandage GTK/Qt applications, or work with developers to add Cosmic support to their applications or forking them, customising their UI to be consistent with their DE and then basically shrugging and saying "you're on your own if you want to run non-native applications"... well, only time will tell.

This still looks too much like Gnome Shell for me. That said, I'm not the target demographic for this. That said, I'm investigating to switching to KDE from Cinnamon due to recent "improvements"/rebases adding burger menus, and on a couple of systems I've headed back to Openbox (with minimal customisation)... also been playing with Hyprland, but still don't feel that is really ready, although progress over the last six months has been nothing short of astounding.
            Basically like what elementaryOS has done. Saying you are one your own if non-native apps are used on your system. That being said, I do hope they can get the find tuning for goth Qt and Gtk apps. For me at least I use both on a daily basis. I think KDE Plasma 5 has done a superb job of this out of the box, while GNOME really hasn't as they don't care to. So with Ubuntu installs I have to have add the Qt5 library and modify my profile to use Gtk 2 theme for Qt apps.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              It's not the responsibility of a DE to make apps be consistent with its style...
              I would argue that we shouldn't care if the apps all look the same. So what there are a few variations on what an app looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Soo... basically like any other kid, just so repressed and scared of his parents fanatically abusive enforcement of tenant compliance that he's afraid of enjoying biting the ear off a chocolate bunny?

... might know a thing or two about internal fundamentalist Christian family situations...

As for COSMIC... meh.
                Maybe it varies per country, but in some countries, the Easter Bunny is considered a very atheist thing. Therefore, very Christian families in those countries want nothing to do with it and thus don't expose their kids to it (if the EB is allowed in said country in the first place). In other words, they're not waiting for the Easter Bunny as he/she won't come to their house, and I'm not waiting for Cosmic because it won't come to my house.

(I was raised Christian too, even though I'm now an atheist, but my parents weren't so strict about it.)

Comment

This still looks too much like Gnome Shell for me.
                  Well, Gnome _looks_ good, so why go away from a style they liked. If they do their own DE it’s not because the theme needed a big shift. It because the underlying code, the workflow, and governance did.

Also while it looks similar from far, as soon as you look closer, it’s not that similar anymore… And with the years, the feeling will diversify in its own direction more and more.

PS: regarding the simpler and more standardized themes we have today compared to the ugly Winamp era, I think it’s a huge win for taste and quality.

I hope their cosmic-files app will also be similar to gnome’s one but with all the polish and good design gnome didn’t put in entirely.

Regarding cosmic-terminal, a builtin dropdown mode like guake/yakuake would be terrific!
                  Last edited by rmfx; 13 August 2023, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Maybe we should ask: Finally the year of the Linux Desktop approaching ;D ?

Comment

Im really liking a lot of cosmic so far, i've been using bits and peices like the application launcher and runner via sway when im not tinkering around with cosmic itself. the applications feel really good, and ofc, having wlr-layers support for custom backgrounds is great

Comment

Working...
                      X