Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    The point was that like Jeffro-tull said:

and Arch Linux KDE is more stable and doesn't have bugs which Kubuntu version has.
    [citation needed]

Comment

I understand we are not all using a software the same way but on my part I not have a single crash with KDE 4.3.
      I run Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3b2 from the backport ppa at home and at work since the day it was available and I am very pleased with.
      Also love Digikam 1.0b1.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
        [citation needed]
        I see quoted text but:

> Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by pchev View Post
          I understand we are not all using a software the same way but on my part I not have a single crash with KDE 4.3.
          I run Kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.3b2 from the backport ppa at home and at work since the day it was available and I am very pleased with.
          Also love Digikam 1.0b1.

I had my entire gui freeze yesterday using KDE 4.3RC1. I too am using the backport ppa.

Comment

only problems I've had are Plasma imploding and taking Dbus and KDM with it (only once), and the panel/notifications not being translucent again after toggling compositing off and on. Other than that, it's been rock-solid for me (using the openSUSE Build Service packages)

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
              Whose packages were you using? Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal. I used the openSUSE Build Service for my packages, and I never ran into that problem. Just-started programs (whether by krunner, kickoff, lancelot, or konsole) always had focus for me.
              These were on Debian. I might have to give it a try on my Gentoo box and see if it does the same there.

Comment

yeah... I tried getting KDE 4.3 to play on my Gentoo install, and was mostly successful. I pretty much followed the guide on techbase.kde.org, and got it compiled and running, but a) Konqeror and Dolphin would always segfault, b) I ran out of disk space before I got extragear/multimedia compiled, and c) KDE applications (all of them) had no icons!

...then I remembered how much I don't like fighting with Gentoo and rebooted into opensuse. Then again, I'm a born-again Gentoo noob (haven't used it in a couple years because compiling took too long on my old rig), so your mileage may vary.

Comment

@jeffro-tull:
                  emerge -av layman
                  layman -a kde-testing
                  emerge -av @kde-4.3

You probably need to do some unmasking or stuff like that which I can't think off right now, but then you should be done.

Comment

@Zhick

I saw that on the Gentoo wiki, but I also noticed I had to unmask Portage to use the split packages. That seemed a bit too adventurous for me. Maybe in another couple days I'll give it a shot.

Comment

rc2 is out now

Comment

Working...
                      X