No announcement yet.

KDE 4.3.0 Release Candidate Goes Wild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't forget that Kubuntu introduce more KDE bug than they fix. If you want something that is stable for day to day use, use Gentoo, Arch, Mandriva or OpenSUSE.

Comment

got openSUSE 11.1 x86-64 installing on my pretty new K10 right now. With the newfound horsepower (previously had an AthlonXP 2600+), I'll probably give Gentoo another go (already have a partition set aside). For right now, though, openSUSE's 1-Click Install is a lot easier than a portage/paludis overlay (even if it IS more than "one" click).

Comment

I've been using KDE 4.2 on my laptop and one thing really drives me insane - programs started via keyboard shortcuts don't get focus even if focus-stealing is completely turned off, and sometimes they end up behind other windows.

I used to have it on my desktop too, but that one bug was enough to make me go back to xfce.

Comment

This new KDE version is really grate!

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
          And I have used arch, about a year ago. While I can appreciate the technical KISS philosophy, I also like the I-don't-have-to-configure-that-much philosophy that Ubuntu is offering
          I also like the Arch KISS philosophy and the fact that it is a rolling distribution, but whenever I want to do something new, like hear music, I have to load the snd drivers, if I want to print, I have to install/load Cups and the printer drivers, if I want to measure the cpu temperature I have to load the corresponding modules, etc... It is a bit tedious.

Arch is a great distro to learn, but I would really like a distribution like Arch (rolling release) but with the ease of use of Kubuntu or others.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post

I also like the Arch KISS philosophy and the fact that it is a rolling distribution, but whenever I want to do something new, like hear music, I have to load the snd drivers, if I want to print, I have to install/load Cups and the printer drivers, if I want to measure the cpu temperature I have to load the corresponding modules, etc... It is a bit tedious.

Arch is a great distro to learn, but I would really like a distribution like Arch (rolling release) but with the ease of use of Kubuntu or others.
            Look, this is really offtopic, but:
            If you have a lot of modules you have to modprobe, you should consider adding them to /etc/modules. Should also work for Arch. Just a tip

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
              I've been using KDE 4.2 on my laptop and one thing really drives me insane - programs started via keyboard shortcuts don't get focus even if focus-stealing is completely turned off, and sometimes they end up behind other windows.

I used to have it on my desktop too, but that one bug was enough to make me go back to xfce.
              Whose packages were you using? Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal. I used the openSUSE Build Service for my packages, and I never ran into that problem. Just-started programs (whether by krunner, kickoff, lancelot, or konsole) always had focus for me.

Comment

That's all in /etc/rc.conf

Comment

Originally posted by JeanPaul145 View Post
                  Look, this is really offtopic, but:
                  If you have a lot of modules you have to modprobe, you should consider adding them to /etc/modules. Should also work for Arch. Just a tip
                  Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  That's all in /etc/rc.conf
                  Hehe, I know, probably I didn't explain it very well.
                  I mean that the first time you must load the modules and daemons manually. It is a bit tired having to always do that in a new installation, sadly there isn't any nice hardware detection, you know, plug-n-play... it's not a distribution that you can recommended to any person.

Comment

tried Sidux?

i've also noticed that KDE 4 packages on arch seem more stable then other KDE 4 based distro's i've tried.

Comment

The point was that like Jeffro-tull said:

Not all KDE 4.2's are created equal.
                      and Arch Linux KDE is more stable and doesn't have bugs which Kubuntu version has.

Comment

Working...
                      X