Chrome 114 Released With CHIPS, Popover API

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    There's a special place in hell for people who implement popovers 2 paragraphs into an article.
    XD made my day.

Comment

At this point I could care less about its performance. I just want it to work correctly. I hate saying this, but I'm fed up with Firefox to the point that I want to ditch it. FedEx tracking doesn't work, Hulu audio and subtitles are out of sync with the video, Paramount doesn't track viewing progress, nested menus on random websites don't work, and occasionally the mouse pointer quits changing shape and function when it goes over different elements (like going from arrow to I bar to select text). It's frustrating and everything happens on Windows and Linux. I've dealt with the Hulu and Paramount bugs for over two years. The mouse one for even longer. FedEx and nested menus started happening over the past few months.

I debated whether or not I should post this. Practically every thread going negative about something or other gets old.

I've been using ungoogled-chromium when Firefox doesn't work correctly. I just used it to track some FedEx shipments that didn't work in FireFox.

Don't make the mistake of scheduling a cross-country shipment during Memorial Day weekend. I should have consulted a calendar before I clicked accept with my scheduled rose shipping time last month instead of picking the soonest available time.
      Exactly. Even if Firefox is slower than Chromium browsers in benchmarks, it's usually not something noticeable during daily usage. I ditched Firefox and switched to Vivaldi a few months ago because I was fed up with some websites randomly getting stuck loading (btw, Phoronix was one of them) and issues in other websites like YouTube not loading thumbnails sometimes. But mostly because of websites randomly not loading. And interestingly, these issues were more frequent on Linux than on Windows. With Vivaldi I don't feel any difference between Windows and Linux. Also, with Firefox on Windows the YouTube playback is often stuttery, which is not the case with Chromium browsers.

Comment

At this point I could care less about its performance. I just want it to work correctly. I hate saying this, but I'm fed up with Firefox to the point that I want to ditch it. FedEx tracking doesn't work, Hulu audio and subtitles are out of sync with the video, Paramount doesn't track viewing progress, nested menus on random websites don't work, and occasionally the mouse pointer quits changing shape and function when it goes over different elements (like going from arrow to I bar to select text). It's frustrating and everything happens on Windows and Linux. I've dealt with the Hulu and Paramount bugs for over two years. The mouse one for even longer. FedEx and nested menus started happening over the past few months.

I debated whether or not I should post this. Practically every thread going negative about something or other gets old.

I've been using ungoogled-chromium when Firefox doesn't work correctly. I just used it to track some FedEx shipments that didn't work in FireFox.

Don't make the mistake of scheduling a cross-country shipment during Memorial Day weekend. I should have consulted a calendar before I clicked accept with my scheduled rose shipping time last month instead of picking the soonest available time.
        I too get the occasional site that is bugged in Firefox. But here I wonder if that is Mozilla's fault, or if it is simply the Internet Explorer effect all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

I too get the occasional site that is bugged in Firefox. But here I wonder if that is Mozilla's fault, or if it is simply the Internet Explorer effect all over again.
          A bit of both, but, mostly, I'm chalking it up to the IE Effect since so much of the internet is Chrome-based these days and Google/Alphabet has so much influence over everyone and everything on the Internet.

Comment

A bit of both, but, mostly, I'm chalking it up to the IE Effect since so much of the internet is Chrome-based these days and Google/Alphabet has so much influence over everyone and everything on the Internet.
            I have a feeling that my issues I described in my previous post are also mostly caused by the IE effect because I can see in the bottom what the browser connects to while the website is stuck loading (don't know what's that thing called) and it's almost always caused by some Google api.
            Last edited by user1; 31 May 2023, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Fuck Chrome, fuck Blink.

Comment

So, if I understand this correctly, Facebook has to say that their cookie is partitionned in order to use CHIPS that will prevent activity tracking by Facebook.

How is that useful to me, who do not want to be tracked by Facebook?

For this to be effective :

* third party cookies need to be partitionned by default. This is what Firefox does, and I have yet to see a related issue. I do not care that "some features will not work", as the Google dev doc says (exact citation is: "However, partitioning cookies without a third-party opt-in can lead to unexpected bugs, since some third-party services have built servers which expect an unpartitioned third-party cookie.") because that's really not my problem. Thirs party services have bugs that do not allow them to efficiently track me? Why should I care?

* they can ask Partionned = False to get a non-partitionned cookie if they requires it. When I get a non-partionned cookie, the browser shall ask me if I want it, just like it asks me if I want to get push notifications or activate my camera on the site. I should also be able to say that my default response is "No" in my security settings.

Alternatively, all third party cookies can die. I don't feel empathy here. I don't care.

But of course, Google being Google, we still 1) get unrestricted third party cookies 2) have no control on partionned cookies.

So instead I should count on Facebook to auto-magically restrict itself. I'm not sure they'll do it...

Comment

I use Microsoft Edge on my Linux and I'm quite happy with it, plus I can use the Bing AI chat. The Linux MS Edge is also not so blown up like the Windows Edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                    I use Microsoft Edge on my Linux and I'm quite happy with it, plus I can use the Bing AI chat.
                    I just the Bing AI chat with Firefox with a plug-in (which I assume changes your user agent when talking to Bing) and a config change.

I am frustrated commenting with Firefox. Disqus and OpenWeb have cursor bugs, the URL bar won't appear, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Of course the majority of it is the IE effect. That's why it's so facepalm-inducing when people move to a chromium browser with that reasoning...

Comment

Working...
                      X