Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Progress With KDE Plasma 6's KWin HDR Support

Phoronix: The Progress With KDE Plasma 6's KWin On HDR Support

Following last month's Red Hat hosted HDR hackfest that brought together many Linux desktop stakeholders from GPU driver developers to desktop environment developers, KDE developer Xaver Hugl has shared an update on the progress being made for high dynamic range (HDR) display support from the KWin side...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think HDR has been the least of people's concerns in terms of [the] Wayland [protocol] adoption and as for

I am however quite optimistic about the future of HDR and color management on Linux. It’s all progressing pretty quickly and even just being able to fix the colors for sRGB content on wide color gamut displays with a one click solution is already a pretty good step up over what we had before.
    Doesn't look "quickly" to me at all. HDR was released in Windows 10 eight years ago. Monitors with HDR are pretty much ubiquitous nowadays and it sucks that Linux doesn't support them at all. Yeah, I know Microsoft employs thousands of highly paid engineers but Wayland/Gnome/KDE are not entirely volunteer only efforts either.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      I think HDR has been the least of people's concerns in terms of [the] Wayland [protocol] adoption and as for

Doesn't look "quickly" to me at all. HDR was released in Windows 10 eight years ago. Monitors with HDR are pretty much ubiquitous nowadays and it sucks that Linux doesn't support them at all. Yeah, I know Microsoft employs thousands of highly paid engineers but Wayland/Gnome/KDE are not entirely volunteer only efforts either.
      It can still progress quickly now even if it hasn't progressed at all 7 years before.

Comment

Originally posted by mbriar View Post

It can still progress quickly now even if it hasn't progressed at all 7 years before.
        Nope, it can't we have a dozen of Wayland implementations each of which has to implement HDR support on its own. Yeah, wlroots/libweston, but that's not enough.

Maybe one day it will dawn on Wayland developers that we don't need this massive amount of duplication effort.

Comment

I wish that someone will donate a fewHDR-capable monitors / TVs to KDE developers.
          Maybe Valve could do this really helpful donation.
          As for programs I can barely wait for Kodi and VLC to be able to to display HDR movies properly.

Comment

I Monitors with HDR are pretty much ubiquitous nowadays.
            Are you sure. Market studies over 90% of monitors sold last year were SDR only and that up on prior years. Its not like for general Office/school.... stuff you need HDR. This even applies over to laptops. HDR does equal more power usage.

Microsoft acquired a stack of HDR screens for their staff to work with. For general programing and office work HDR was not classed as required for the Linux developers working at companies.

Still the most common monitor solid is 1080p as well.

HDR monitors are not ubiquitous or even common when you look at what is in end users hands.

Comment

I dream of being able to to use Darktable's scene referred workflow on an HDR monitor!
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Monitors with HDR are pretty much ubiquitous nowadays
                Well, that's not true. Most of the monitors advertises as HDR, but they are really fake HDR, because they implement just a very small subset of features of HDR, even then most of the time those aren´t implementend properly, so that they can put a sticker showing that they have. Real HDR monitors are just a small fraction of it, specially because they tend to be quiet more expensive.

Comment

Doesn't Valve use KDE Plasma for the Steam Deck? Does this mean Steam will support 10-bit color insteadof crashing on launch‽

This big me. I moved back to X11 after trying for because Wayland didn't support color management or HDR. My last 3 laptops have support wide gamut and last 2 OLED with HDR, but the Linux support hasn't been there and I've followed the Wayland issue for it on the Freedesktop GitLab forge for years.

Comment

Nope, it can't we have a dozen of Wayland implementations each of which has to implement HDR support on its own. Yeah, wlroots/libweston, but that's not enough.

Maybe one day it will dawn on Wayland developers that we don't need this massive amount of duplication effort.
                    Birdie, is that you?

Funny that your username means "bird" in Latin... and funnier that you would link to a Gitlab issue by one Artem Tashkinov​, former banned forum member birdie.

Comment

Working...
                    X