Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Wayland Session Sees More Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 6.0

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Wayland Session Sees More Fixes Ahead Of Plasma 6.0

While the past week saw many KDE developers get together for a Plasma 6.0 development sprint in Bavaria, the development pace for code changes during this time period didn't lighten up. There still was a lot of code being committed for continuing to advance this open-source desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news.
    Looking forward to using KDE Plasma 6 on wayland without all the bugs.

Comment

Has anyone seen newly introduced bug in Plasma 5.27 where after connecting external screens all those panel applets (like network, sound, notifications) are misplaced? I open Krunner to run `kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell` and it goes back to normal. I'm not that often in office where I have my odd 2 screens on top + 1 internal laptop screen in the bottom layout and I'm not sure when I'll be able to report it. It's pretty annoying and it didn't happen about 2 point releases ago. Would be nice to have all of that ironed out for 6.0, but honestly after all of what I've seen in last years, I refuse to believe that multi-display will ever be handled 100% robust in Plasma, no matter the display protocol and amount of refactoring. Feels like fixing a bug most likely introduces new one most of the time.

Comment

The biggest showstopper for me is missing mouse gestures under wayland, I use them all the time and can't imagine doing without

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
          The biggest showstopper for me is missing mouse gestures under wayland, I use them all the time and can't imagine doing without
          Probably yet another feature Wayland deemed "insecure" or "not our problem" and kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Probably yet another feature Wayland deemed "insecure" or "not our problem" and kicked.
            Nope. Input is handled by libinput for both Xorg and Wayland these days and it has gestures support.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Nope. Input is handled by libinput for both Xorg and Wayland these days and it has gestures support.
              Those are touchpad gestures, which is a different thing from mouse gestures

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Probably yet another feature Wayland deemed “insecure” or “not our problem” and kicked.
                The implementation of gestures in Wayland was (yet again) meant to be diametrically different from what it was for X11, and without a dev particularly interested in the feature, they decided to eliminate it for Plasma 6 due to the burden that the work supposed.

I rely on this feature a lot, and while I don't like it, I can understand their reasoning for eliminating it. Still, it irks me that I see this happening way too often with software that decide to embrace Wayland, a lot of features are flushed down the drain, and we end with a slick, but kinda famished version of what the software used to be, with time some of those features are regained, some new features are also gained but some are never seen again.

So in a sense, yes you are correct, it all derives from the very conception of Wayland, for all the good and for all the bad; if we go to a higher level, then the reasons are much more practical in this case. Most people see the transition as a direct upgrade, like Wayland is > X11. I believe that's just oversimplification nonsense, I see it more like switching some business art department from using Windows to Linux, it will bring a lot of good, but while that happens, we will have some rough times.
                Last edited by ireri; 12 May 2023, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Those are touchpad gestures, which is a different thing from mouse gestures
                  Sure, my point is there is no security issue or whatever as suggested by OP. Mouse gestures were implemented by KDE before in Wayland, they just disabled it because it was buggy.

Comment

Just curious: What do you use them for?

Comment

Working...
                    X