Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Project To Focus On Their "Layout 2020" Engine

Phoronix: Servo Project To Focus On Their "Layout 2020" Engine

Servo as the browser engine started at Mozilla but now developed as a Linux Foundation project has been maintaining two separate layout engines and moving forward they hope to be able to focus on the newer "Layout 2020" engine and fill in its missing gaps...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A web browser making use of the Servo engine should be called Tom.

Comment

De-duplication is a good thing, seems it's an objectively better use of available (developer, tester, bug hunter, volunteer, etc.) resources in this case.

Comment

best to do something right over fast if those are the options, best of luck to the servo team

Comment

I thought this project was well and truly dead. Thrilled to see there is still work going on!

Comment

High hopes for this!!!

Would be awesome to have an independent/universal browser/layout engine maintained by the Linux Foundation (it's one of the few i still trust, tbh) instead of being maintained by money making big tech.

I'm sure that if they get this working, even Mozilla might jump into the wagon and rebase Firefox in servo layout engine!!!

best of techies-luck for them!

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
              I'm sure that if they get this working, even Mozilla might jump into the wagon and rebase Firefox in servo layout engine!!!
              that would depend on the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
                High hopes for this!!!

Would be awesome to have an independent/universal browser/layout engine maintained by the Linux Foundation (it's one of the few i still trust, tbh) instead of being maintained by money making big tech.

best of techies-luck for them!
                I hate to tell you this but the Linux Foundation is funded by "money making big tech" --> https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/members

Some readings...

Outsiders often assume that the Linux Foundation is the official face of Linux. However, within the open source community, the outlook

Where does the Linux Foundation spend the rest of its $177 Million in revenue? Let's take a look.

Comment

Is Servo still used in Firefox?

Comment

Originally posted by stompcrash View Post
                    A web browser making use of the Servo engine should be called Tom.
                    An MST3000 fan! I loved that show! I'd laugh so hard, it hurt.

Comment

Working...
                    X