Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 44 Released With Many Desktop Enhancements

Phoronix: GNOME 44 Released With Many Desktop Enhancements

GNOME 44 is now officially out as the latest half-year update to this widely-used open-source desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does drag & drop work yet on Wayland?

Comment

Triple Buffering?

Comment

Dang I didn't realize they went with the Firefox versioning.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
          Do you have a specific bug in mind? My desktop seems to be fine.

Comment

I've never noticed any problems with it. Where did you see an issue?

Comment

We shouldn't forget that every minor KDE version also comes with tons of Wayland fixes! It will be almost usable in few years.

Comment

Last I checked it doesn't even work inside the shell itself (previous version, up-to-date MicroOS).
                In the app launcher, try creating a folder in your current page while having more pages to the right. When you then move an icon out of the folder, instead of dropping in the empty space in the current page, it goes to the very end of the last page.
                Now, you might want to bring it back; when attempting to do so, it doesn't always give a hint that the previous page exists, and when that happens, it's not just a graphical thing, it actually won't let you scroll to previous pages while holding and dragging the icon.
                Are you familiar with how an Android launcher moves stuff around when you drag 'n' drop an icon and how easy it is to put that icon to the sides, or wherever, with clear and intuitive animations? Now, as an exercise, try putting an icon to the sides in Shell's launcher a bunch of times. Try rearranging icons without even involving the sides, for that matter. I don't want to sound mean, but it's just so broken! It's a pity, since it looks like it could lend itself to mixed inputs on convertibles, but while its keyboard paradigm is okay, mouse & touch... not so much.
                inb4 "have you reported it?" No, and I won't. Sorry!

I usually shut up about Shell because in my experience it attracts people and when they stay on GNU/Linux they cite GNOME (Shell) among their reasons. That's quite lucky, because I wouldn't know of other standardized, "works" ootb options outside of Shell and maybe Steam Deck with Plasma (I'm not familiar enough with Plasma). GTK4+libdwaita apps are cool though, and the Circle initiative spawned several neat purpose-specific apps which I use everywhere as flatpaks.
                Hopefully something like Regolith materializes with Wayland equivalents, and Project Greybeard will serve as a neat interim solution if one wants a modern OS underneath.

Comment

The fact that someone looked at the screen and said, "This is acceptable." is baffling to me.

This is the screenshot on gnome.org

It fixes everything that baffled me about the first screenshot.

Michael needs to update his screenshots. That first one doesn't do GNOME any justice.

Comment

And the next question is, what was removed that we use but the devs decided we dont need?

Comment

Working...
                    X