No announcement yet.

KDE Delivers More Wayland Fixes & Plasma 6.0 Changes This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE fans will complain GNOME wayland is a buggy mess, GNOME fans will complain KDE is a buggy mess.. Do some people have issues? Yes, its going to happen but on my subjective opinion on GNOME and KDE they both worked without any issues in Wayland for as long as I have been using them with Wayland. (Does not mean everyone else is going to have the same experience) GNOME for me falls behind KDE in gaming due to no VRR support merged yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post
      KDE fans will complain GNOME wayland is a buggy mess, GNOME fans will complain KDE is a buggy mess.. Do some people have issues?
      I'm a Xfce user (occasionally DWM, Awesome, and other tiling wms) and for me, Gnome seems ok and non-buggy, but KDE has delivered a piece of shit experience every time. The last time I tried it didn't even support my mouse scroll wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        Recently I've tried KDE 5.27.something with Wayland on AMD based 6900hx laptop, I've been throughtly dissapointed. Some issues were annoying - like horizontal lines in terminal, some very annoying like XWayland apps window maximized were not maximized really leaving 1px zone were you can click the underlying window.
        And the most annoying were linux drivers leading to full screen flicker or just white screen. Switching to xorg resolved most of my problems sans the amdgpu drivers, but under Xorg the problem was not as noticable. Driver problem is not KDE specific, GNOME wayland suffer from it as well.

So yeah, wayland need it's fixes.
        These issues do not exist for me.....

Comment

Originally posted by SSJBurger View Post
          KDE fans will complain GNOME wayland is a buggy mess, GNOME fans will complain KDE is a buggy mess.. Do some people have issues? Yes, its going to happen but on my subjective opinion on GNOME and KDE they both worked without any issues in Wayland for as long as I have been using them with Wayland. (Does not mean everyone else is going to have the same experience) GNOME for me falls behind KDE in gaming due to no VRR support merged yet.
          Pretty much this. I use both interchangeably and i have no issue with Wayland in either. I haven't used Xorg in more than 2 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

These issues do not exist for me.....
            As they say YMMV - different setup, different screen scale factor, etc. As matter of fact I do not see any of mentioned issues on one of my desktops which run the same KDE version but on RX480 and with 100% screen scale. What matter is that there are still conner case which need to be fixed, some people might not hit issues but someone will and will be annoyed with either GNOME, KDE or wlroots or even X11.
            Last edited by blacknova; 18 March 2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

I would like them to at least implement this protocol sometime, or a stable version I don't care.

Comment

I still can't use the custom keys using Wayland.

Comment

I am on Kubuntu 23.04 and kernel 6.2.7 (custom build). Plasma 5.27.3 works great with Wayland and RX 6800 XT. There were those lines and ghosts when 5.27 was initially released. Those are fixed now. Steam games also run no problems now. I can say 5.27.3 is stable for me on Kubuntu daily.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                    A little over a year ago, KDE + Wayland was a hot mess. Ended up on KWinFT, which solved 90% of my issues. But those 10% were brutal. Realized it was me 5 other people in the world with the same setup. Nail in the coffin was seeing the main dev struggling for funding. Now I’m on GNOME, but this looks like the time to give KDE another shot.

KWinFT might have been the right technical approach, but the KWin’s development resources seems to have overcome that. Too bad. I think KDE would be much better off today if they had followed his lead. Goes to show technical prowess means little if your personality drives people away.
                    I am not sure. KDE losts lot of user after last "we will rewrite it" and KWinFT developer's approach was exactly that one dangerous, which could again damage heavily KDE reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                      A little over a year ago, KDE + Wayland was a hot mess. Ended up on KWinFT, which solved 90% of my issues. But those 10% were brutal. Realized it was me 5 other people in the world with the same setup. Nail in the coffin was seeing the main dev struggling for funding. Now I’m on GNOME, but this looks like the time to give KDE another shot.

KWinFT might have been the right technical approach, but the KWin’s development resources seems to have overcome that. Too bad. I think KDE would be much better off today if they had followed his lead. Goes to show technical prowess means little if your personality drives people away.
                      I've tried KWinFT a couple of times last year throughout the year, but I could never get it to work - it would just simply crash or not even start the session. Tested on Void, Arch and openSUSE Tumbleweed.

Comment

Working...
                      X