Wine 8.4 Released With The Early Wayland Graphics Driver Code, 51 Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.4 Released With The Early Wayland Graphics Driver Code, 51 Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 8.4 Released With The Early Wayland Graphics Driver Code, 51 Bug Fixes

Wine 8.4 is out as the newest version of this open-source software for running Windows games and applications under Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The looong way to Wayland.
    How long existing Wayland?
    And then GTK+ and GNOME is ported to it.
    And then Qt and KDE is ported to it.
    Then comming libSDL and other stuff (LibreOffice, VLC, ...).
    And now comes WINE.

I think the change from X11 to Wayland needs much longer, then the change from 32bit x86 to 64bit x86_64.

Comment

Using the Wine.git builds under EndeavourOS.
      This morning Wine.git was upgraded from 8.3.r111 to 8.4.r0.g15.
      When I run KDE-Plasma 7.27.3 with Wayland, does it automatically run the games with Wine 8.4.git under Wayland.
      Or is there any additional configuration that needs to be done?

Have once tried a few months ago from the AUR the wine-wl-git, and there many games ran very well under Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by SerialCool View Post
        Using the Wine.git builds under EndeavourOS.
        This morning Wine.git was upgraded from 8.3.r111 to 8.4.r0.g15.
        When I run KDE-Plasma 7.27.3 with Wayland, does it automatically run the games with Wine 8.4.git under Wayland.
        Or is there any additional configuration that needs to be done?

Have once tried a few months ago from the AUR the wine-wl-git, and there many games ran very well under Wayland.

Wine Git only merged the driver, there is no real use for Wayland support as a front-end at the moment. Reading this merge request helps to understand what has actually been added.
        Last edited by Sethox; 18 March 2023, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Amazing job as always from Wine team 🍷🥰

Comment

This wine staging version in my case restore some wmv playback in some titles

Case WRC4 works main menu video but dont intro videos, curiously both videos are wmv3 but only difference can stay around audio because intro videos have audio appear as wmapro

And in render compared nvidia, car paint appear correctly without black areas

However audio have strange issue in track, when stay all public sound bad but once leave begin point audio back to normal in my case

Another interesting result is in test drive ferrari legends when sky appear correctly meanwhile with nvidia appear in black in my case

God eater resurrection also have wmv3 cinematics with audio in wmapro and dont play too, same history occur with ultra street fighter IV and street fighter vs tekken

And in my case fix nascar thunder 2003 with d8vk, in before wine version only show 3dconfig app but dont entry in game

As curious thing Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana shows this with sound ok

This is a logo movie curiously audio is wmapro but video is vc1 1080p

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
              The looong way to Wayland.
              How long existing Wayland?
              And then GTK+ and GNOME is ported to it.
              And then Qt and KDE is ported to it.
              IIRC, Enlightenment was first to arrive on Wayland, or at least pretty close to GNOME.

Comment

Seeking more in depth wrc 4 videos, is curious how h264 format give some interesting ideas about wmv files

without forget troubles with h264 on wine until recent times

but experimenting and then i think about reencode (avidemux - handbrake and qwinff) video in h264 but with audio in mp3 128kb but encode in stereo aka 2ch (apparently wine have troubles with wmapro in this videos: 6ch at 384kb/s)

with mp4 container but once stay ready only change .mp4 extension to .wmv

and produce this:

Another successfull cases are:

Curiously street fighter vs tekken need stay in windowed mode for sound work because in fullscreen video work but without sound

In some cases dont work case risen 3 (with/without audio), ultra street fighter IV and in others work but if audio track is disabled case darksiders and maybe others

Curiously in darksiders some cinematics have only music in track and voices stay out of video aka video sound with voices but without music

Other rare case successfull is bullet witch, this game have cinematics in ssu extension (but really is wmv) however this game have troubles with audio in game

another interesting cases are collin mac rally 03-04-05 (cinematics are encoded with sound but dont sound), divinity 2 and roller coaster tycoon 3 because with audio track dont work but if encode video without audio, cinematics works

Last edited by pinguinpc; 20 March 2023, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X