GNOME 44 Release Candidate Arrives With Many Last Minute Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Never understood why would anyone want their system to automatically go to sleep. Especially on Linux where sleep is less than stellar.
    Sleep has worked perfectly fine on my last 5 laptops.
    What hardware do you have?

Comment

Nice to see that Epiphany (Gnome-Web) is getting some attention. Its a nice browser, but its a tad slow and clonky in its behavior.
      I've tried Gnome-Builder a few times and I always like where they are going with it. But there have been way to many sharp edges for me to use it for anything yet. Could use some polishing.

Overall Gnome 43 works great for me. Great works guys!!

Comment

Boring maintainin release, anything planed for Gnome 46 or has it also zero features

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post
          I've owned three laptops from three different generations of Dell XPS 13 and only the first one didn't have issues with sleep. That one had an Intel wifi chip, IIRC. The latter two have come with Broadcom shit (wifi + bluetooth) which still to this day sometimes crashes when resuming from sleep.

These issues were absolutely horrendous back when I first got the laptop (wifi would fail during use and trying to reboot the laptop would cause a kernel panic + system freeze) and have since smoothened out, but already in 2023 I've suffered of it once or twice. Then again, I do use sleep heavily since my laptop sleeps a few times a day and I don't necessarily reboot it more often than once every fortnight.
          Last edited by curfew; 12 March 2023, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            Boring maintainin release, anything planed for Gnome 46 or has it also zero features
            They're on a rather fast release cycle, so I wouldn't expect much amazing stuff from each release. 42 also wasn't terribly feature-packed, but I've used 40, 42, and 44beta, and it feels like it's always getting better and faster after since 'absorbing' the GTK4 and Wayland changes in 40. That's a good thing, and it indicates a product that's approaching maturity. Personally, having better fractional scaling support that aligns with libraries like SDL2 and a whole lot of maturity in GTK4 is totally worth the wait.

I mean, think about it, do Windows or macOS releases even have anything worth paying attention to anymore? Mostly they're rearranging the deck chairs or implementing some silly feature these days. My compelling reason to move from Windows 10 to 11 was that 'right click on taskbar -> task manager' came back; hardly groundbreaking. I can't think of anything in a macOS.[whatever my wife's computer runs] that wasn't there in 10.6.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Never understood why would anyone want their system to automatically go to sleep. Especially on Linux where sleep is less than stellar.
              Probably they are copying the same crap that KDE introduced recently.

Comment

At this point sleep works perfectly fine on the majority of hardware. Data also suggests that a majority of computer users are laptop users where power saving of going into sleep after X minutes of inactivity is nice. How well that maps to linux users is always under doubt as we dont exactly like having telemetry taken. Can confirm though that i have auto suspend off om my desktop but on on my linux powered tablet

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

same here. Never had a sleep issue with any of my machines (mobile and desktop PC) in at least 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

If I want my desktop going to sleep I just press the power button once. But I don't want my running calculations to be stopped automatically when I am AFK.
                    Can automate it with the inhibit api

Comment

What I dislike is that there are at least 2 things (randomly called in random places) you have to turn off if you don't want parts of your PC to randomly shut down. In KDE:
                      1. Power Management -> Screen Energy Saving
                      2. Workspace behavior -> Screen Locking

So every time I install gnome or KDE I have to figure out what this shit is called in each DE in each new version as they play with names and locations for options. FTS.

Comment

Working...
                      X