Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 44 Release Candidate Arrives With Many Last Minute Changes

Phoronix: GNOME 44 Release Candidate Arrives With Many Last Minute Changes

The GNOME 44 release candidate was officially declared today as the last test version ahead of formally releasing the GNOME 44 desktop later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME Settings Daemon now defaults to sleeping the system after 15 minutes
    Never understood why would anyone want their system to automatically go to sleep. Especially on Linux where sleep is less than stellar.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Never understood why would anyone want their system to automatically go to sleep. Especially on Linux where sleep is less than stellar.
      What exactly are your issues with sleep? Non of my current machines have any issues with it. Have been using it daily until very recently and that already for a few years.

Comment

Powersaving?

Comment

People defaulting to mobile devices for the past decade?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

What exactly are your issues with sleep? Non of my current machines have any issues with it. Have been using it daily until very recently and that already for a few years.
            I personally don't use it because I don't really need it. If I'm away from my computer for less than an hour -hour and a half, I just turn off my monitor. If I'm away for more than that, I just shut it down (unless it's doing something in the background like downloading something big).

Desktop PC's are usually fine with sleep on Linux, but afaik, Linux sleep on laptops is still flaky, so that's why I don't think it's a good idea to enable automatic sleep after certain time.

Comment

The law.

AFAIK European law is pretty strict on power saving and anyone selling any device of service with gnome in europe must meet the more stringent power requirements.

If thinks break on your end with sleep, please file bugs, they may not be known.

Comment

Gnome Boxes without "bridged adapter" mode is a big no-go

Comment

There are a lot of different systems, so there is no answer correct for all, but sleep (suspend to ram) seems to mostly work in my experience, while hibernate is more problematic with a number of potential gotchas.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    Powersaving?
                    If I want my desktop going to sleep I just press the power button once. But I don't want my running calculations to be stopped automatically when I am AFK.

Comment

Working...
                    X