KDE's Konsole Now Works On Windows, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Come Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Konsole Now Works On Windows, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Come Too

Phoronix: KDE's Konsole Now Works On Windows, More Plasma Wayland Fixes Come Too

It was a busy March week for KDE developers as they have now got the Konsole terminal emulator working on Windows, Qt apps surviving compositor restarts, other Plasma 6.0 development work under their belt, and the continued flow of fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If people would unite one day behind 1-3 desktop environments to solve this big fragmentation problem that hurts Linux's adoption and to make them better, I think KDE Plasma can definitely be one of them.
    It has the features and the flexibility to make 80-90% of the people happy.
    And with some more donations and developers, the rest of the problems can be fixed too.

Comment

I've used konsole on Windows many times (without cygwin). I wonder when it stopped working and why we are saying "Konsole Now Works On Windows" opposed to "Konsole Windows Support Restored" ?

I remember when projects started moving to QT 4 a big selling point was support for macOS and Windows. I'm happy to see more support for cross-platform software.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      If people would unite one day behind 1-3 desktop environments to solve this big fragmentation problem that hurts Linux's adoption and to make them better, I think KDE Plasma can definitely be one of them.
      And with some more donations and developers, the rest of the problems can be fixed too.
      I enjoy variety on the UX side. I don't see a problem with over 9000 desktop environments.

I have a problem with lack of shared libraries and underlying systems. Distros with different naming conventions have been a major pain of the past 2 decades.​

Comment

You see it from an end-user perspective, that certain work (made for you, the end user) seems redundant when one can rule them all. But open source community is about competition and cross section code to be inspired by and to be improved upon to ultimately create something better built off others work.

The desktop fragmentation isn't actually bad, the consequence is just that it's hard to gain the defacto desktop. But there is no silver bullet, there are only attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724

Don't people already mostly unite behind GNOME? What notable distro ships KDE and presents it first-class?
          OpenSuse.

Or Fedora's KDE Spin, or Kubuntu...

When I last tried Plasma 5, it didn't have an onscreen keyboard, no integrations for screen rotation or brightness control from sensors, and odd HiDPI scaling at 4K with Xorg and using AMDGPU DDX driver (didn't happen with modesetting DDX). None of that was an issue for GNOME at the time.
          All that is available on the wayland session as far as I know

It's possible KDE is caught-up by now, but GNOME has only improved since that time.
          KDE has improved *A LOT* in the last two years.

Comment

If people would unite one day behind 1-3 desktop environments to solve this big fragmentation problem that hurts Linux's adoption and to make
            The fragmentation issue is more around the graphics toolkits being used by programs than the desktop environments themselves; things like GTK not having any SSD support and being very, very GNOME-centric and EFL only jiving with Enlightenment. It's compounded further by both programs not supporting multiple UI styles and desktop environments/toolkits not having UI style toggles and overrides.

It doesn't help that, thanks to Qt supporting lots of different views and UI styles, KDE is in a clusterfuck in regards to default program user interfaces in whether they have hamburgers or toolbar menus since some support both and some are still on toolbars (which I prefer). KDE is a prime example of why there needs to be a global interface option -- to force all the hamburger CSD touchscreen looking bullshit to use their toolbar view (or toolbar view to hamburger CSD touchscreen looking bullshit for those that freebase).

Comment

Don't people already mostly unite behind GNOME? What notable distro ships KDE and presents it first-class?

When I last tried Plasma 5, it didn't have an onscreen keyboard, no integrations for screen rotation or brightness control from sensors, and odd HiDPI scaling at 4K with Xorg and using AMDGPU DDX driver (didn't happen with modesetting DDX). None of that was an issue for GNOME at the time.

It's possible KDE is caught-up by now, but GNOME has only improved since that time.
              That's the joke. While a lot of distributions ship GNOME by default KDE usually ranks higher with package install counts and random surveys. It's because they use GNOME, realize it sucks, and install KDE manually.

That's also why there are a lot of KDE bugs that are non-bugs. Installing KDE over GNOME can lead to duplication of services, people missing "optional but should be required" dependencies, and other stupid issues that can usually be fixed by a package audit from a knowledgeable, experienced user.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                I've used konsole on Windows many times (without cygwin). I wonder when it stopped working and why we are saying "Konsole Now Works On Windows" opposed to "Konsole Windows Support Restored" ?
                You must be confusing it with something else. Konsole has never worked on windows. There was a past attempt at porting Konsole to windows but that attempt never made it stable releases ever. So the title is correct as is.
                ​​

Last edited by dr_wix; 11 March 2023, 09:41 AM.

Comment

it is so awesome to see KDE used by Nasa Control Room
                  For Scientists Using KDE Applications.

Comment

does sddm still hangs when one tries to use the fingerprint to login?

Comment

Working...
                    X