PipeWire 0.3.67 Fixes Stuttering For Some Bluetooth Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    Annoying additional BT delay that kicks in all of a sudden once again drove me to Windows. Another case of pure chance if something works in Linux world.
    Or you can use the BT device on windows10 via qemu. These two years, bluetooth experience on linux is abysmal. But windows too, have their quirks. Few of my friends have problem with their windows 10. Whether BSOD, cannot login to desktop, printing problem, cannot left click the icons on taskbar, etc.. Nowadays, linux and windows experiences is abysmal. Dunno about Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      Cool, I'm sure the year of the Linux desktop is only one more complete rewrite of yet another sound server system away ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acME6TKPRo0
      It has rained a lot since then isn't? I mean pipewire has gotten a lot better over time, to the point where I switched to it and it all works perfectly for me (typical desktop usage)
      Last edited by JPFSanders; 09 March 2023, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

It has rained a lot since then isn't?
        Not really. Bluetooth audio still does not work reliably, and thanks to clime change it does not even rain here very much either, ... :-/

Comment

I will give this a workout, but anything bluetooth and linux is horrible.

I have tried it all. Different Bluetooth radios, different versions of Bluetooth, just terrible, different devices, earbuds, headphones, keyboards, mice, speakers.

All cut out, stop/start or mysteriously stop working never to be seen again without a system reboot.

It's a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
            What happened to Pipewire AVB?
            AES67 support is in development: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew...its/aes67-jan/

Comment

i am not saying bluetooth is as bat on other platforms (that linux bt support is equal to win or mac., however it is probably good (as a user) to at least recognize that bt in general is a godawful closed proprietary protocol with just a lot of really messed up stuff in it. to at least set some more reasonable expectations

best usage situation occurs when a large company like apple invests in their own hardware and specifically designs it to work with... its other own hardware.

moving back to linux topic, you will probably get grief using random bt chipsets, unless well supported in current kernel. the one i have here is asus bt400 usb dongle. there might be others now (that are as well supported) but i have not checked

then moving over to pipewire specifics - bt certainly was pretty bad, then some recent release was supposed to improve it (somewhat). however of course ymmv and since i dont use it myself (for audio) i cannot give a specific advice. but it would be more helpful comment (of others here) to actually cite their specific pipewire version + hardware, rather more than merely just say 'no good'. to then know if 'no good' actually applies also to these later more recent pipewire versions, and with also well supported hardware (for linux, so maybe also the kernel version matters too).

but just to be clear: i am not saying bt is really any good, even under best circumstances. (anything but). personally i recommend against using bluetooth, (if or when can be avoided)

Comment

Pipewire is probably one of the better attempts at a sound system in the long history of bad Linux sound systems. But it seems like they are never going to fix all of the resampling bugs, which is pretty catastrophically bad.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  Cool, I'm sure the year of the Linux desktop is only one more complete rewrite of yet another sound server system away ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acME6TKPRo0
                  I actually plan on looking into T2 for pipewire specifically on a project I am wanting to work on ​:P

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                  I will give this a workout, but anything bluetooth and linux is horrible.

I have tried it all. Different Bluetooth radios, different versions of Bluetooth, just terrible, different devices, earbuds, headphones, keyboards, mice, speakers.

All cut out, stop/start or mysteriously stop working never to be seen again without a system reboot.

It's a mess.
                  I've been using pipewire bluetooth audio for quite a while now, and I can say with confidence I have yet to have an issue outside of typical bluetooth audio issues, just make sure to set the codec to use SBC-XQ if it's availible.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I actually plan on looking into T2 for pipewire specifically on a project I am wanting to work on ​:P
                    . 😍 .

Comment

I wish it would pick up the battery level of Bluetooth connected speakers and report it to the OS, like PulseAudio with some experimental flag can do.

Comment

Working...
                      X