X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Myownfriend
    replied
    Originally posted by SoongVilda View Post
    I can't even switch my headphones from the bar without an extension or adjust mic gain etc.
    Pretty positive you can do both of those from the Quick Settings menu.

I wouldn't know because I hooked my headphones to a mixer.

They push truly useless pieces of stuff instead to finish the most basic functionality.
    These changes aren't useless though. They just mainly consist of backend changes and the changes that were linked to aren't changes from 43 to 44, they're from the beta to RC.

My last attempt was GNOME 43, then I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth, consumes a small amount of RAM + I can adjust anything I want it.

btw: No icons like Steam, Discord, or anything runs in the background by default on GNOME, it's annoying.
    KDE and Gnome use about the same amount of memory. I checked in the past few days.

Leave a comment:

• awesz
    replied
    12 years of nothing.

Leave a comment:

• hax0r
    replied
    I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth
    My experience is opposite, I switch from KDE to GNOME and I'm more happy.... though not entirely satisfied as both DEs still suck.

SoongVilda install Ubuntu, it has nice orange+purple theme and icons, necessary gnome shell extensions for desktop icons and taskbar icons for background apps, unlike Archlinux, Ubuntu support Secure Boot out of the box so can boot in any machine, apt is better package manager (doesn't break all the time like in Archlinux where pkg maintainer forgets to push his updated gpg key).

Leave a comment:

• browseria
    replied
    When GNOME will eat only 800MB RAM after booting up on Arch Linux? I tried GNOME so many times and I just can't set anything useful, everything needs an extension. I can't even switch my headphones from the bar without an extension or adjust mic gain etc.

They push truly useless pieces of stuff instead to finish the most basic functionality. My last attempt was GNOME 43, then I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth, consumes a small amount of RAM + I can adjust anything I want it.

btw: No icons like Steam, Discord, or anything runs in the background by default on GNOME, it's annoying.
    How bizarre. I'm running GNOME 43 and can "switch my headphones from the bar" with the built-in functionality out of the box:Screenshot from 2023-03-07 12-09-24.png
    Oh and "background running with icons" is coming in GNOME 44. FYI.

Leave a comment:

• SoongVilda
    replied
    When GNOME will eat only 800MB RAM after booting up on Arch Linux? I tried GNOME so many times and I just can't set anything useful, everything needs an extension. I can't even switch my headphones from the bar without an extension or adjust mic gain etc.

They push truly useless pieces of stuff instead to finish the most basic functionality. My last attempt was GNOME 43, then I switch back to KDE Plasma, and happy, stable, smooth, consumes a small amount of RAM + I can adjust anything I want it.

Leave a comment:

• dimko
    replied
    Originally posted by pranav View Post

I think by the release of GNOME 50, it will be very stable and get merged.
    Too bad i grow old and die by that time...

Leave a comment:

• mangeek
    replied
    I REALLY hope this stuff makes it in before Ubuntu 23.04 is totally frozen. It would be good to have this in play for the next few months.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    What baffles me is that some say triple buffering is the only fix for this, while others say it's a bad workaround and this has to be fixed in the driver. What if this is something that has to be fixed in Mutter itself? I mean that's how game developers optimize their games - they can even optimize certain areas in-game where there is a large framerate drop and they can also stabilize the frametime. How is Mutter different in this regard?
    I also wonder how does DWM in WIndows copes with this issue. At least on Windows 10, animations are butter smooth.
    Windows does triple buffering. There are known driver bugs that cause tearing and other problems. Ideally the drivers get fixed but in reality, some legacy drivers are no longer maintained and/or proprietary and even if they are maintained, distros can be running older versions for a very long time. So yes, just increasing buffering is a workaround and it comes at a cost but its a common solution. Mutter gets other performance fixes as well but this is one Phoronix has chosen to highlight often, so people aren't aware of the changes as much.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by user1 View Post
    What baffles me is that some say triple buffering is the only fix for this, while others say it's a bad workaround and this has to be fixed in the driver. What if this is something that has to be fixed in Mutter itself? I mean that's how game developers optimize their games - they can even optimize certain areas in-game where there is a large framerate drop and they can also stabilize the frametime. How is Mutter different in this regard?
    I also wonder how does DWM in WIndows copes with this issue. At least on Windows 10, animations are butter smooth.
    Microsoft has the clout to get Nvidia, AMD etc to update their drivers when they make changes to the graphics system on Windows, Microsoft can stop OEMs adopting their components, there's also more driver developers for the platform.

Windows also never had to deal with X11

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by lumks View Post

The thing is - it is ready. There is just nobody really interested to land this and I can understand it. From a design perspective you introduce a workaround for a driver/hardware unawareness. Maybe I don't understand something in this process, but wouldn't it be the better idea to add this to Linux/Mesa with an interface where an app can ask for more performance?

For my part I don't like the implementation.
    It's not just that, it's also that it directly conflicts with work already being done in this area by the Mutter maintainers. We can see that based on the patch already needs large changes to work with preparations the shell is going through for Off-Thread KMS

Off-Thread KMS should be a noticeable improvement for everyone, but of course this large patch isn't going to be accepted if its going to need to be changed completely again shortly when people can't even agree if its the correct solution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X