Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Continue Pushing More Plasma 6.0 Changes

Phoronix: KDE Developers Continue Pushing More Plasma 6.0 Changes

This week KDE Plasma's development branched to Qt6-only and a lot of other development happenings around Plasma 6.0 occurred...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It does my head in from the sheer range of factors involving dealing with a modern desktop.

Any desktop.

Obviously its more impressive when it's open-source and a XXth the budget of Apfel and EmmEsS, AND maintaing a massive amount of feature-set.

Without telemetry.

And less resource usage.

With useful base apps.

Edit: Bit about resources to usage
    Hi

Comment

As 5.27 is a defacto LTS release I hope they spend the time to really polish up 6.0 before they release it. A rebase to QT6 is a really good opportunity for KDE to position itself as a major desktop again, particularly with the valve backing.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Without telemetry.
        There is opt-in telemetry (User Feedback in System Settings), but you an verify that's it's anonymous, as KDE is open source.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          It does my head in from the sheer range of factors involving dealing with a modern desktop.

Any desktop.

Obviously its more impressive when it's open-source and a XXth the budget of Apfel and EmmEsS, AND maintaing a massive amount of feature-set.

Without telemetry.

And less resource usage.

With useful base apps.

Edit: Bit about resources to usage
          Parkinson's Law, software expands to fill the available resource.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
            As 5.27 is a defacto LTS release I hope they spend the time to really polish up 6.0 before they release it. A rebase to QT6 is a really good opportunity for KDE to position itself as a major desktop again, particularly with the valve backing.
            It is not de facto. It *is* an LTS

Comment

KDE Frameworks has improved the way sizes and positions of KDE app windows are remembered for multi-screen setups. The new manner should now be more robust and far better than the status quo for KDE multi-monitor desktops.
              It would be so nice if that meant the window positions can now be shared between X and Wayland sessions. One of the primary reasons I don;t care about testing Wayland is that it usually doesn't work for me and when I log back into X, my session (which is a bunch of windows open for a looooong time) is gone. Having to restore that is more work than it's worth just to confirm Wayland is still not an option for me. If I knew my session was safe, I'd try it more often.
              (And yes, I know monitors are handled differently between X and Wayland, then there's different scaling and everything. But there should still be way to abstract all that away and have a common session for both DEs.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

There is opt-in telemetry (User Feedback in System Settings), but you an verify that's it's anonymous, as KDE is open source.
                I was more thinking about the ever-increasingly built-in low telemetry that W10 and now W11 'offer's' users. It is literally EVERYWHERE.
                Hi

Comment

Nice to see the continued work on multi-monitor!
                  With 5.27 my more major issues when activating/deactivating my TV to play on the couch were solved, so at least for me there are only little annoyances left - but i won't object them being solved

I'm really curious if the transition to 6 will indeed be smoother than in the past. Let's hope for the best!

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                  opportunity for KDE to position itself as a major desktop again
                  Most community-polls about DE-usage show Plasma on the first or second place, don't know how much more 'major' it could get

Comment

I think they should wait like a year or before they release 6.0. Get it ready before Kubuntu 24.04 LTS hits but not before. Plasma 6 MUST be as bug-free as possible. Get rid of all those 15-minute bugs, get rid of the Wayland showstoppers, get rid of as many papercuts as possible.

KDE 4.0 was so buggy that it ruined KDE's reputation for over a decade and let GNOME become the more dominant desktop despite GNOME 3 being an absolute shitshow. Don't repeat that mistake.

Comment

Working...
                    X