Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.3 Released With Low Fragmentation Heap, Smart Card Support

Phoronix: Wine 8.3 Released With Low Fragmentation Heap, Smart Card Support

Wine 8.3 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release of this open-source software for enjoying Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice update!

Comment

Just 29 known bugs. O.o Funny.

Comment

What are you taking about Turbine ? The article clearly stated.....

"Wine 8.3 also has 29 known bug fixes affecting various games and applications."​

29 known bug "FIXES"

Hope that helps.

Comment

ok so i have allways been wondering this question, but never actually asked (until right now)...

will it ever come the day that the latest, most recent (and stable) version of wine will also support all of the games in all prior versions?

for example, if i have a game. and it ends up working (in whatever fashion) on version "N" of wine. then i can also be sure than any future versions of wine will run that same exact game (at same exact updates / patch level), at least as well?

so in other words just in general to have a less trial-and-error experience over time as wine keeps on getting better. and save a bit of grief / time. might make managing and configuring a bit easier. if i am not being too unrealistic to be hoping for such things. i.e. that it is not too much of a moving target

Comment

Originally posted by dreamcat4 View Post
            ok so i have allways been wondering this question, but never actually asked (until right now)...

will it ever come the day that the latest, most recent (and stable) version of wine will also support all of the games in all prior versions?

for example, if i have a game. and it ends up working (in whatever fashion) on version "N" of wine. then i can also be sure than any future versions of wine will run that same exact game (at same exact updates / patch level), at least as well?

so in other words just in general to have a less trial-and-error experience over time as wine keeps on getting better. and save a bit of grief / time. might make managing and configuring a bit easier. if i am not being too unrealistic to be hoping for such things. i.e. that it is not too much of a moving target
            This is highly unlikely. Unfortunately new fixes occasionally mean new regressions.

Comment

Still no vulkan child window rendering?

Comment

There is a mechanism named regression testing that can ensure you that. Here you can see how it currently goes for others. Bugs from this site are not ordinary, they are regressions, which means loss of functionality that was once there.

Comment

As long as Wine keeps getting developed, there will be no such guarantee. But since Wine started building their library of test cases, regressions are becoming less and less common. There was a time when a Wine release may have broken just as many applications as it fixed, but this is no longer the case today. Application support is strictly trending up.

Still, if you have an application or game that is important to you, it makes sense to test it every release, so a regression can be reported and fixed quickly. The more recent a change, the more likely it is the corresponding developer will be able to do a quick follow-up fix.
                  Last edited by david-nk; 04 March 2023, 02:00 PM.

Comment

As others said, that's a regression. File a bug, continue using old wine version until the bug is fixed.

Best if you can do a bisect (requires compiling wine yourself, but not any knowledge of its source code) to point to exact commit. That will help get it fixed a lot faster.

It may be more work for you in the end, but you're doing yourself a service since you're fixing a bug you care about, so you can use later wine and ditch the old one eventually. And at the same time you're helping the Wine team fix their regressions.

Comment

Working...
                    X