Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter Complete Their Migration Away From GTK3

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter Complete Their Migration Away From GTK3

The GNOME Shell and the Mutter compositor have completed their migration off GTK3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel good I did not rush buying a gpu now.
    I am tempted but I want first:
    1. 10/30bit color support
    2. HDR
    3. To know which Monitor to buy. a 4k gamer/video content/text monitor.

I would buy an OLED if I knew it will live 4-5 years of being used 14-16 hours a day. Where on average 5 hours a day there will be windows 10 interface on it.

My understanding is that Gnome 44 by default will use 30bit color for all. Hence Michael is so excited.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
      My understanding is that Gnome 44 by default will use 30bit color for all. Hence Michael is so excited.
      The only problem is, GNOME uses around 3 times more RAM than XFCE4 (Gtk3) after booting and logging in. I wonder why this is the case since GNOME barely has the same level functionality as XFCE4.

Comment

Out of curiocity, i switched all off in gnome 42. Biggest chunk was somehow Xwayland. Which could be some GTK3 extention.
        all in all 3gb taken all together. And that includes some email plugins, and other stuff.
        Doesn't raise my interest here.(considering i have 64 gigs of ram)

Comment

rebooted PC, with no previous apps or anything 1.22 gig usage with no programs started.
          no i am not claiming there is no memory leak or anything. But even if it takes 3 gigs(i sleep my PC and not reboot it) - it was not switched off for weeks

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
            rebooted PC, with no previous apps or anything 1.22 gig usage with no programs started.
            no i am not claiming there is no memory leak or anything. But even if it takes 3 gigs(i sleep my PC and not reboot it) - it was not switched off for weeks
            1,22 gigs is a lot. Debian Bullseye Xfce requires only a bit over 0,3 gigs. It basically does the same. It even has some features Gnome does not, like icons on desktop. Taskbar widgets etc.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

1,22 gigs is a lot. Debian Bullseye Xfce requires only a bit over 0,3 gigs. It basically does the same. It even has some features Gnome does not, like icons on desktop. Taskbar widgets etc.
              I have been using xfce for years. I started using gnome few months ago. No it does not do same thing.

Comment

1.2GB is not much. Any random electron app (slack, discord, vs code etc) consumes much more than that these days all by itself and these apps are pretty popular despite that.

If you are comparing features, obviously Xfce is far more minimalist, so it is of no surprise that it would consume less resources. For example, GNOME Shell search is integrated with GNOME Software so you can search for any desktop application even if they aren't installed and as long as the distribution repo has it, it will launch GNOME Software and prompt you to install it. GNOME Software has a number of fixes to reduce memory consumption that is available in the development version and the upcoming 44 release will have it but anybody using the current stable release or older will be losing out some memory because of such features. Similarly you have calendar integration, power profiles and so forth by default and each of these features typically has atleast some resource usage. Majority of desktop users use GNOME or KDE mostly because they value this convenience over saving some memory.

If you don't value these features and/or using a older system with less resources, Xfce is likely better suitable for you. These alternatives exist for a reason.

Comment

The only problem is, GNOME uses around 3 times more RAM than XFCE4 (Gtk3) after booting and logging in. I wonder why this is the case since GNOME barely has the same level functionality as XFCE4.
                  Part of it probably has to do with Gnome Software and PackageKit running in the background.

Gnome Shell is JS-based so that alone might increase RAM usage.

If you're running a Wayland session then XWayland is also running in the background.

If you're using different applications to check for RAM usage than you're going to get different number, too.

A lot of it could be the difference between Mutter and XFWM. You can run XFCE on top of Mutter to test that out. Mutter is far more complex than XFWM.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    1.2GB is not much. Any random electron app (slack, discord, vs code etc) consumes much more than that these days all by itself and these apps are pretty popular despite that.
                    That's a lot, considering not everyone has a system with 16/32 GB of memory.

Electron is a computer disease that needs to be cured. People should start writing applications in normal frameworks instead of bringing around a web browser with every application. Developers are getting so lazy that they can't learn to write basic Qt applications that already have a ton of features, including QML, which is such a "good Electron". People in commercial development are most likely so stupid that they already have to compete with the monkey's level of intellect.

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    ​If you are comparing features, obviously Xfce is far more minimalist, so it is of no surprise that it would consume less resources. For example, GNOME Shell search is integrated with GNOME Software so you can search for any desktop application even if they aren't installed and as long as the distribution repo has it, it will launch GNOME Software and prompt you to install it. GNOME Software has a number of fixes to reduce memory consumption that is available in the development version and the upcoming 44 release will have it but anybody using the current stable release or older will be losing out some memory because of such features. Similarly you have calendar integration, power profiles and so forth by default and each of these features typically has atleast some resource usage. Majority of desktop users use GNOME or KDE mostly because they value this convenience over saving some memory.​
                    ​
                    Nonsense. Compared to Xfce or any other DE, GNOME is a design screw-up. Xfce4 is very rich in features and plugins, but it has fewer developers and resources, so various problems sometimes occur. The assholes from GNOME with their GTK3 have also contributed to the list of problems, making xfce4 consume more RAM and cause various bugs. GTK4 is such crap that no one will ever try to port applications to it.

Comment

Working...
                    X