Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma Development Branch Switches To Qt6-Only

Phoronix: KDE Plasma Development Branch Switches To Qt6-Only

As of today the KDE Plasma development branch is now made Qt6-only as development work on Plasma 6.0 heats up...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really love KDE and it is my desktop of choice for over 15 years. But one thing I learned in those 15 years is: Once there is a new major version, I can test and play with it on my toy-machines but my important daily driver machines will wait at least a year(!) before I switch after the release.

Each transition had been rough in the past. I do not blame them, the goals are usually ambitious, but it had be frustrated often enough to almost ditch it in the past.

Still love the work everyone does in that ecosystem <3

Comment

Please vote for this bug - it's the primary reason why I don't want to use KDE.

Comment

Finally we will have Breeze theme for Qt6 apps

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Please vote for this bug - it's the primary reason why I don't want to use KDE.

Don't get me wrong. The request is valid (and they've signaled interest), but it just seems like a really weird "primary reason" to not use KDE.

btw, ~/.config is not hardcoded, it's defined by $XDG_CONFIG_HOME. Setting that to some other value won't help you though, because it would move (almost?) all config files of programs, not just KDE.

Comment

KDE has had many transitions that made the project questionable (the stigma of being buggy), it's not a hobby-project anymore (meaning the foundation for stable desktop environment is there). Despite this, Valve still came down to choose KDE as their DE for the Steam Deck, so one would assume that with Valve backing KDE up the project will become stricter towards the development process for a more stable outcome.

Time will only tell...

Comment

Originally posted by Draget View Post
              Each transition had been rough in the past.
              I really hope they do not exaggerate when they say the changes in the Toolkit are minimal enough to not cause major disruptions. Time will tell i guess ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Draget View Post
                I really love KDE and it is my desktop of choice for over 15 years. But one thing I learned in those 15 years is: Once there is a new major version, I can test and play with it on my toy-machines but my important daily driver machines will wait at least a year(!) before I switch after the release.

Each transition had been rough in the past. I do not blame them, the goals are usually ambitious, but it had be frustrated often enough to almost ditch it in the past.

Still love the work everyone does in that ecosystem <3
                Are you using a rolling distribution? If you use Debian or even Ubuntu LTS, the new KDE Plasma will not reach you in under a year

Originally posted by avis View Post
                Please vote for this bug - it's the primary reason why I don't want to use KDE.​
                You aren't using a desktop, because is has a lot of components and all of them clutter, not your home, but hidden folders designed exactly to hold such configurations?
                And you would use it if all the component configurations are bundled in a folder inside this hidden folder in your home.

This sounds a bit silly to me but I'm already happy if stuff isn't cluttering my home with hidden files and folders.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post

Don't get me wrong. The request is valid (and they've signaled interest), but it just seems like a really weird "primary reason" to not use KDE.

btw, ~/.config is not hardcoded, it's defined by $XDG_CONFIG_HOME. Setting that to some other value won't help you though, because it would move (almost?) all config files of programs, not just KDE.
                  I like my ~/.config neatly organized and as soon as I launch KDE I stop understanding what is what as dozens of KDE background services and apps create files in it (many even without the k- prefix). KDE used to have ~/.kde3 and it was great. You could back up and restore just KDE settings and nothing else.

The biggest issue is when some part of KDE breaks due to "bad" configuration options and you need to reset them. With the current messy approach you could end up wiping the entire ~/.config just to save time which sounds like madness.
                  Last edited by avis; 28 February 2023, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Just out of curiosity: what are the most important features that Qt 6 brings to KDE that cannot be achieved without a great pain?
                    I like the progress but for work I have different priorities, stability, reliability..
                    last major kde release took 4 years to be reliable and the previous maybe the same.
                    I really want to say to kde team, great work, keep improve but don't let the 5 series behind because you finally got a good level of trust from the people that use kde desktop for everyday work not just from enthusiasts toying around

Comment

Working...
                    X