No announcement yet.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 Brings A Handful Of Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are not doing coverity scans any more and are not making the statistics from the scans publicly viewable. They also did not configure coverity correctly, since they only did Java scans:

LibreOffice on the other hand not only does regular coverity scans, made the data public and has properly configured it, but also actively addresses every report that coverity makes such that they only have 2 outstanding defects:

It would be nice if OpenOffice would do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The user interface was terrible, every variant of them, really, really terrible.
      I messed around with LO Base and LO Impress and couldn't understand anything, I was just confused and had no idea how to accomplish anything. LO Writer and LO Sheets were slightly better but still shitty. Everything was overwhelming and looked like something from three decades ago. Microsoft Office and Google Docs are a breeze to work with. I haven't tried OnlyOffice, maybe I should try that.
      I don't agree. Yes, Word and Excel looks better, but if you pick the right icon theme and customize a bit the interface, LO applications looks OK. Actually, on my case, I like mostly dark colors and this setup works better on LO than it does on MS suite.

image.png

Cheers.

Comment

The user interface was terrible, every variant of them, really, really terrible. (...) Everything was overwhelming and looked like something from three decades ago. (...)
        You can change the LibreOffice UI to a ribbon design and also alter the icon theme of the toolbar (both: Extras->Options). If you use Ribbon + Colibre icon theme, you get an interface that resembles MS Office closely, even in icon shapes and colors. The ribbon has all functions and elements where one would expect, which makes it easier to find stuff quickly.

Btw, testing out new things without having the slightest willingness to learn a few things, sets your mind up for anger, disappointment and failure. Becoming competent requires at least a minimum amount of effort.

Comment

Originally posted by acobar View Post

I don't agree. Yes, Word and Excel looks better, but if you pick the right icon theme and customize a bit the interface, LO applications looks OK. Actually, on my case, I like mostly dark colors and this setup works better on LO than it does on MS suite.

Cheers.
          I had really looked forward to the dark mode, but it was disappointing because it was useless. The whole point of dark mode is that it should be dark, but the document background was jarringly white, even more jarring than with a light theme due to the intense contrast.

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post

You can change the LibreOffice UI to a ribbon design and also alter the icon theme of the toolbar (both: Extras->Options). If you use Ribbon + Colibre icon theme, you get an interface that resembles MS Office closely, even in icon shapes and colors. The ribbon has all functions and elements where one would expect, which makes it easier to find stuff quickly.

Btw, testing out new things without having the slightest willingness to learn a few things, sets your mind up for anger, disappointment and failure. Becoming competent requires at least a minimum amount of effort.
          I tried the ribbon design, it was one of the things that I had really looked forward to and had me excited, but it left me disappointed. It did not feel polished at all. It looked really cheap and like a poor attempt at imitation.

Admittedly I never tried to change the icon theme. I kind of expect some sane defaults and a good out-of-the-box experience.
          Last edited by uid313; 27 February 2023, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Not sure that is really a positive.

32-bit machines should have long since been recycled, especially the very slow but very high power usage Intel P4 systems.

64-bit (amd64/x86-64) have been shipping in desktop/laptops for 20 years now (2003), so you can easily get a 64-bit system for free as old ones have been thrown away for decades.
            Calm down, no one is using these to play Call of Duty. You're talking about machines that are fired up occasionally to write a few letters. There aren't even any modern(ish) web browsers that will run on them - they aren't even useful for webmailing or facebook-ery. The cost of manufacturing brand new machines with all their energy inputs and rare earth metals would vastly outweigh the cost of the tiny amount of electricity to use one of these in their typical use patterns.

Comment

Fu consoomer, you can't outweigh anything with any brand new electrical shit. Except your PC is from 80s or something

Comment

I had really looked forward to the dark mode, but it was disappointing because it was useless. The whole point of dark mode is that it should be dark, but the document background was jarringly white, even more jarring than with a light theme due to the intense contrast.

I tried the ribbon design, it was one of the things that I had really looked forward to and had me excited, but it left me disappointed. It did not feel polished at all. It looked really cheap and like a poor attempt at imitation.

Admittedly I never tried to change the icon theme. I kind of expect some sane defaults and a good out-of-the-box experience.
                Even "good" out of the box experiences won't please everybody, that's why there is choice in menu bar classic style or multiple tabbed variant which are meant for specific use cases (like screen size). Same goes for the icon set, which is dependent on using Windows, MacOS or Linux, then there's a few different options you can choose from pending whatever you like.

The sheet is white default, which you obviously can change easily from Extras->Options> LibreOffice> Application colors> Document background.
                I've seen quite some document where the text was set manually to "black" resulting in almost invisible letters when the sheet was set to dark, guess that's the reason the default sheet is white for now...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  While it's great that open source allows projects to fork in order to suit the needs of differing opinions, it's not so great when one of the projects stagnates.
                  This is a large flaw in the open source software model.

Comment

The user interface was terrible, every variant of them, really, really terrible.
                    I messed around with LO Base and LO Impress and couldn't understand anything, I was just confused and had no idea how to accomplish anything. LO Writer and LO Sheets were slightly better but still shitty. Everything was overwhelming and looked like something from three decades ago. Microsoft Office and Google Docs are a breeze to work with. I haven't tried OnlyOffice, maybe I should try that.
                    My guess is that it is white because most of us print on white paper. On many of my machines I picked some gray to be used instead.

Comment

Not shit, Sherlock.
                      You know that you can set both theme AND application colors? No? Thought so:
                      This tutorial shows you how you can enable dark mode in LibreOffice Calc, Writer, Impress, Draw, Math in Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X