No announcement yet.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 Brings A Handful Of Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All 3 OO users are very excited by this news.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I had really looked forward to the dark mode, but it was disappointing because it was useless. The whole point of dark mode is that it should be dark, but the document background was jarringly white, even more jarring than with a light theme due to the intense contrast.
      Bad news you don't have a choice unless you go back to old school word processor before WYSIWYG(What You See Is What You Get) without getting yourself into trouble. Your printer has white paper in it right uid313.

Libreoffice does allow changing the "Document background colour" this is not changed by default when setting the dark theme due to this would now not match paper colour and leads to issues of not being able to see text.

I have not seen a single wordprocessor program that in document section allows viewing the document in "negitive mode" (basically inverted RGB.)

Do note darkmode on webbrowsers normally leave the websites black on white text alone. This is a case were you would have to totally go hey we are breaking WYSIWYG and applying a negative filter over everything because if you don't you will have like text set black you set document background colour to black and now the text disappears.

Another missing feature is in document to be able to set page color for cases where you will be using a particular colour paper. Yes if this feature is implemented this should throw up warning when you try to print document about the document being design for X color paper make sure printer is loaded with it..

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        I have not seen a single wordprocessor program that in document section allows viewing the document in "negitive mode" (basically inverted RGB.)
        Have you heard of the one called "Microsoft Word"?

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

Have you heard of the one called "Microsoft Word"?
          So there is one I still have never seen it in real life. All versions of Microsoft word I have contact with don't have the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

So there is one I still have never seen it in real life. All versions of Microsoft word I have contact with don't have the feature.
            See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-a15a859a693a

The canvas is dark, black font becomes white. it works the same in Onenote (though not in Powerpoint or Excel I think)

Comment

Originally posted by Estranged1906 View Post

See here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-a15a859a693a

The canvas is dark, black font becomes white. it works the same in Onenote (though not in Powerpoint or Excel I think)
              Same thing in LibreOffice on my system when I enable "Dark Mode" -

LODarkMode.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Honestly it is actually causing a problem - OpenOffice is basically just an outdated and poorly maintained version of LibreOffice, yet, there's shockingly a lot of people who continue to use OpenOffice. It also implies there are developers who could potentially be improving LO but aren't.
                Open Office is basically the more popular brand. People with shiny new 24-core workstations and 128 gigs of RAM try this first, then complain how OO is at least 50 years behind competition.

Originally posted by calc
                32-bit machines should have long since been recycled, especially the very slow but very high power usage Intel P4 systems.
                Not everyone is rich. Those people used to use BBC Micro or C-64 (1982) when we had Athlon XP (2002). Now in 2023 they still use Athlon XPs or even older gear like Pentium MMX when you and me have Ryzen 7950X3D. Those older systems are still perfectly functional. I bet they could fly the mankind to moon.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Not everyone is rich. Those people used to use BBC Micro or C-64 (1982) when we had Athlon XP (2002). Now in 2023 they still use Athlon XPs or even older gear like Pentium MMX when you and me have Ryzen 7950X3D.
                  No, we still use C-64s quite a bit, even in 2023. Turns out I have probably spent more on maintaining my old machine than you have on your Ryzen. Being financially comfortable is exactly what allowed me to escape the treadmill rat race and use what I prefer.

Regardless, the truth is that OpenOffice will outlive LibreOffice. If you don't believe me... bookmark this page and when it happens, I will explain how I knew. Hint; foresight is what allows me to be financially comfortable.
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 28 February 2023, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Open Office is basically the more popular brand. People with shiny new 24-core workstations and 128 gigs of RAM try this first, then complain how OO is at least 50 years behind competition.

Not quite.

Not everyone is rich. Those people used to use BBC Micro or C-64 (1982) when we had Athlon XP (2002). Now in 2023 they still use Athlon XPs or even older gear like Pentium MMX when you and me have Ryzen 7950X3D. Those older systems are still perfectly functional. I bet they could fly the mankind to moon.
                    C-64 are a special case. People keep them running today but a lot of parts have been replaced this is made more possible by their motherboard been simple double layer so take re-soldering of parts better than the modern multi layer boards.

Lot of the 32 bit x86 systems don't work any more. Capacitor failure and other things. Like it or not electronic parts are consumable and only last so long..

Pentium MMX in working condition today is rare. More likely is a x86-64 with motherboard max memory limit of 4G. Still getting rare would be x86-64 with 764 megs of memory limit.

The reason why libreoffice stopped making x86 32 bit linux binaries was lack of demand and that lack of demand makes sense. If you are a person who need 32 bit x86 because you have working hardware that only operates that way you are on rare hardware that by age about to die without parts replacements(that end up costing more than new machine) or is something really expensive fpga that too slow to run modern openoffice or libreoffice.

Ram usage complain yes is valid. 32 bit Linux support is no.

Those keeping C64 running for daily use you have to put quite amount of expense in. Its cheaper to get new entry to mid range computer ever 5 years than it is to keep genuine C64 running that lot less complex of a system than a 32 bit x86 system being lot less complex lot less parts to fail.

x86 32 bit has fairly much now too old of hardware that most of it is now junk.

Comment

One advantage of OpenOffice over LibreOffice is that it still runs on ArcaOS (OS/2)

Comment

Working...
                      X