Blender Shifting To Three Releases Per Year, Blender 4.0 In November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender Shifting To Three Releases Per Year, Blender 4.0 In November

Phoronix: Blender Shifting To Three Releases Per Year, Blender 4.0 In November

While the Blender open-source 3D modeling software decided three years ago that they would aim for quarterly releases and so delivering four releases per year, they have now decided to shift to delivering just three releases per year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, I'm actually fine with one major release per year, but then, it's open source, they need to release often so people can test it, I guess?

Comment

instead of rushing releases, maybe they could add 1 real scripting language like nim instead of python to fix the slow 3 million triangle loading obj with python.

Comment

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post
        instead of rushing releases, maybe they could add 1 real scripting language like nim instead of python to fix the slow 3 million triangle loading obj with python.
        I'm not really familiar with nim but nothing on the home page suggests it works as an embedded scripting language. Any examples/links?

Comment

They should bring back the OpenCL rendering backend, now that Rusticl is a thing and it's performant and it will be on everyone's machine with the next OS release.

Comment

I wonder why half developer community aim towards scheduled release plans (two-weeks release, monthly release, N releases per year).
            Software companies use to schedule their releases, because of firm agreements with the customer.
            FOSS developers should release... when it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
              They should bring back the OpenCL rendering backend, now that Rusticl is a thing and it's performant and it will be on everyone's machine with the next OS release.
              as much as I think rusticl is good, im not sure OCL is a good target for blender, I would much rather see the vulkan work come to fruition. OCL seems to have been an issue for them in general, not just the driver situation on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
                why... if different vendors have optimal or sponsored support, if the old cl path had problems, then might as well go the split route in such an actively maintained and highly sponsored project

the timing was poor with a couple year gap of losing amd support though

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

as much as I think rusticl is good, im not sure OCL is a good target for blender, I would much rather see the vulkan work come to fruition. OCL seems to have been an issue for them in general, not just the driver situation on linux.
                vulkan is not and cannot be for maximal quality rendering, zboszor was talking about gpu accelerated cycles not evee or the viewport (and the viewport switching to vulkan definitely needs to happen at some point anyway)
                Last edited by kn00tcn; 27 February 2023, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X