Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Sees More Feature Work, Improvements For Dolphin & Plasma 5.27.1 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    in the mean time i have to struggle with copy/paste that refuse to copy to clipboard whatever i need (eg. from firefox to konsole)
    You made me look. Works as expected, not sure what you're complaining about.

Edit: Using an X session, fwiw.
    Last edited by bug77; 18 February 2023, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
      Gwenview is mentioned. I wish it would get some more features. I'm still stuck with gThumb as it's the only app that has a good set of features without being too much like DigiKam or even ShowFoto. But I want to use a Qt/KDE alternative to gThumb and GwenView has potential if it would got some more features.
      Code:
      flatpak install --user com.xnview.XnViewMP
      I wanted one good image viewer across Linux, macOS, and Windows. XnView MP is the best I've found. I grab it from flathub, but they have rpm / deb / appimage builds on their site too.

Comment

Is Plasma 6 to introduce Vulkan render?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          I have no idea, but may I ask why are looking for a Vulkan renderer? Is the "overhead" of OpenGL too much for your system? Are you waiting for something else only Vulkan can do?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I guess I paid too much emphasis to the "faster" part, it's probably faster but not something a user would notice, that's what I really meant I guess.. (unless I'm so high I'm misunderstanding everything).
            I'm pretty sure it is not about how they calculate directory's total, but about how they get single file size. Same actions on different file systems can take dramaticaly different time - i.e. stat on NFS and some local FS. I've written tool before for creating directory backups - and without some specific changes same code which have been blazing fast on Linux were disgustinly slow on AIX.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
              Yes, but I'm not sure it will be in the first release of Plasma 6

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                Gwenview is mentioned. I wish it would get some more features. I'm still stuck with gThumb as it's the only app that has a good set of features without being too much like DigiKam or even ShowFoto. But I want to use a Qt/KDE alternative to gThumb and GwenView has potential if it would got some more features.
                What exactly do you find is missing from Gwenview?

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW
                  Look up tables?
                  They already cache the sizes after lookup.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Are you guessing or actually know this? Because even thousands of += operations happen in a blink of an eye.
                  The += on the cpu side is trivial, it's the I/O operations to the filesystem that take time. Particularly if the filesystem is a remote file share over the network.

If you followed the article link to the blog, and then from there to the patch, you'd see it does 2 things:
                  1. Prioritizes looking up file sizes in directories that are visible in the Dolphin window over those scrolled offscreen. This doesn't actually speed up anything, but it will appear faster to the user because they are seeing feedback on what they are looking at rather than work being done on parts of the screen they can't see.
                  2. Stops scanning filesizes and clears out the background queues whenever the file path the user is looking at changes. This gets rid of extra I/O work being done in the background that isn't useful, allowing the system to again prioritize what the user is actually looking at and immediately start calculating that rather than still working on some previous folder they no longer care about until it's finally completed.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 18 February 2023, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Everybody complaining about new feature, but I see that they removed some: I can't change the steps in the volume widget (plasma-pa) and can't seem to find the "launch feedback" option anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hojita View Post
                      Everybody complaining about new feature, but I see that they removed some: I can't change the steps in the volume widget (plasma-pa) and can't seem to find the "launch feedback" option anymore.
                      Found the way to change the volume steps, it's integrated in the system settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X