Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Sees More Feature Work, Improvements For Dolphin & Plasma 5.27.1 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tornado99 View Post
    Plasma is so over-stuffed with menu options and widgets to reveal more menus its becoming ridiculous.

They need to urgently order features into "things people use every day" "things people use every week" and "things people use rarely" and then hide away the rarer options in system/app preferences.

Its starting to look like the control panel of a nuclear power station. 1000 options all at once!
    Reminds me of the death of Amarok which was a bag of buttons and whatnot thrown at the UI. As a user you'd have to clean up the UI first.

Comment

Whenever I see a change regarding a superficial default setting (like the weather widget showing wind speed), I can't help but think it's because of the same people who whine so loudly about the default appearance yet somehow seem oblivious to the fact that it takes very little effort to change.
      While I think it makes sense to show more weather details by default, the fact this was mentioned all tells me someone went out of their way to do it because they were tired of people asking for something that would take 10 seconds for them to do themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Whenever I see a change regarding a superficial default setting (like the weather widget showing wind speed), I can't help but think it's because of the same people who whine so loudly about the default appearance yet somehow seem oblivious to the fact that it takes very little effort to change.
        While I think it makes sense to show more weather details by default, the fact this was mentioned all tells me someone went out of their way to do it because they were tired of people asking for something that would take 10 seconds for them to do themselves.
        Yeah, it makes sense.
        I imagine sometimes it's the figuring out how to fix it that bothers most people because often you walk in the dark in a random direction, like for example a while ago iirc skeevy420 didn't know how to setup a 24H clock in Plasma and was searching for this option in regional settings and trying complicated things in vain not knowing that this option is buried in a totally different location. It's stuff like this that gets normal people upset.
        So I don't know, maybe it's about not properly calling an option or putting it in not too obvious places that's the real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Are you guessing or actually know this? Because even thousands of += operations happen in a blink of an eye.
          Neither guessing nor now this. I think that's general knowledge that a LUT is faster than calculations. You would have to look into their code yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post

Neither guessing nor now this. I think that's general knowledge that a LUT is faster than calculations. You would have to look into their code yourself.
            I guess I paid too much emphasis to the "faster" part, it's probably faster but not something a user would notice, that's what I really meant I guess.. (unless I'm so high I'm misunderstanding everything).

Comment

Plasma is so over-stuffed with menu options and widgets to reveal more menus its becoming ridiculous.

They need to urgently order features into "things people use every day" "things people use every week" and "things people use rarely" and then hide away the rarer options in system/app preferences.

Its starting to look like the control panel of a nuclear power station. 1000 options all at once!
              I hope KDE gets enough funding so they actually hire real UI and UX people.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Yeah, it makes sense.
                I imagine sometimes it's the figuring out how to fix it that bothers most people because often you walk in the dark in a random direction, like for example a while ago iirc skeevy420 didn't know how to setup a 24H clock in Plasma and was searching for this option in regional settings and trying complicated things in vain not knowing that this option is buried in a totally different location. It's stuff like this that gets normal people upset.
                So I don't know, maybe it's about not properly calling an option or putting it in not too obvious places that's the real issue.
                That's a little different. When the setting isn't in an obvious or intuitive location (such as within the settings of the widget you're trying to edit), that's a valid reason to complain. But with the weather widget, you HAVE to right-click on it to configure it to set your location - how hard could it possibly be to spend another 5 seconds to read the other sections thinking "hmm, I wonder what else I can change besides the location?".
                When it comes to appearance, you open System Settings, you click on Appearance (which is the first category from the top) and there you go - you can change the theme. It's quite effortless. Don't like the options available? On the same screen, you can click "Get New Global Themes". Something still doesn't appeal to you? On the left, you're given a slew of sub-categories for more granular customization. It's baffling to me how Linux and BSD users don't even attempt to figure out stuff like that to the point that they will give up on the DE because of default settings. If you spent you whole life using a Mac, I'd get it, but people on these forums don't have an excuse.
                If you don't like right-clicking on things or spending more than 10 seconds skimming through settings, KDE isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post

Why I Avoid Phoronix:
                  💸💸 Help me contribute to KDE and do these videos: 💸💸Paypal: https://paypal.me/niccolovePatreon: https://www.patreon.com/niccoloveLiberapay: https://liber...

Comment

​
                    Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                    Oh please … just go and use Gnome, if a couple of options overwhelm you.

That madness that some people consider "real UI", usability etc. is actually pretty aweful, when it comes to usability.
                    So now even KDE has removed almost all buttons from e.g. Dolphin, because "usability".
                    And then you have people like Linus (from LTT) who try it out and complain about the inability to refresh the folder content and other simple things that should be pretty straight forward to use.
                    Instead, you then have to do a couple of steps just to do the refresh, because proper menus are not a "thing" anymore. But hey, the UI now looks so "clean" …
                    If you hide things in the "Hamburger menu", the only thing that is guaranteed is that nobody will ever use those things anymore, because they will not hit that button.
                    (And yes, I've seen beginners use Dolphin live in the standard configuration, it's horrible.*)

While we're at it, let's reduce the number of keys on the keyboard from 105 to about 20. Because more is surely way too complicated for people.
                    Shouldn't matter that for each key you then get a menu popping up where you can select in the submenu the key you actually want to enter.
                    Trust me, it'll be great!

*Just so we're clear about this: Dolphin itself is actually pretty good, if you set it up properly.

Comment

​Windows 11 Pro has about 2000 options
                      KDE-Plasma has almost all the options that Windows 11 Pro also has, starting from the operation to im building the Dolphin file manager, which has almost all the options of Windows Explorer.
                      With plugins, KDE-Plasma probably comes above the options of Windows 11 Professional.

In office, multimedia/home theater, touchscreen support, gaming, photo editing, file management, etc., the expectation in 2023 is that a graphical user interface will directly support all of these categories. Unfortunately, most Linux distros outside of Office are very limited and will continue to be left behind technologically over the years.

I currently only see a future for KDE and Gnome to adapt to the ever faster development and its demand. The large desktop tower under the desk is dying out. Mobility and power-saving are the future (Chromebooks, (Ultra mobile)-laptops, mobile Workstation, Raspberry & Banana Pi, ARM, cloud, streaming, smartphones, Steam-Deck etc.).
                      And the jump on these devices currently only KDE and Gnome manage.
                      Last edited by SerialCool; 18 February 2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X