Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine 8.2 Released With More Improvements For Running Windows Apps/Games On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.2 Released With More Improvements For Running Windows Apps/Games On Linux

Phoronix: Wine 8.2 Released With More Improvements For Running Windows Apps/Games On Linux

Following the Wine 8.0 stable release from late January followed by Wine 8.1 kicking off the new development series, Wine 8.2 is out today as the second bi-weekly development release of this new series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice!
    Does it use the new common library for parsing the EDID data?

Comment

how do i use this in the flathub release? 7.2.2 is the latest wine engine i can download

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Nice!
        Does it use the new common library for parsing the EDID data?
        What library? It's for X11, and possibly hacks for Gamescope in Proton at some point, though not too sure of that (Gamescope has many hacks because Wayland is too crippled and pathetic, so it's NOT a "Wayland compositor", it's more like a Wayland fork with tons of extensions and hacks to the stupid protocol).

It does not work on Wayland because, as usual, Wayland is crippled by design and refuses to give you this information. "Pseudo Privacy" you know. How dare apps query monitor information? Apps should be treated like criminals!

Wayland, pathetic as usual. And there will still be trolls on this forum constantly asking "what's wrong with Wayland?!??"

Comment

Nice to see all the 32-bit things go away, I look forward to this release! 👍️

Now I remember why I gave up on Wine; I didn't use it much and it required a shit ton of 32-bit dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            and it required a shit ton of 32-bit dependencies.
            So? Are you so low on disk space?

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
              So? Are you so low on disk space?
              No, I just don't like having any 32-bit libraries installed on my system. I don't know why though, my brain just think it is cleaner and more modern somehow.

Comment

why does wine 8.2 still have a bunch of lib32 dependencies on Arch? does it still need those, or did the package maintainer just fuck up the dependencies?

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  Wayland, pathetic as usual. And there will still be trolls on this forum constantly asking "what's wrong with Wayland?!??"
                  As long as a controlled way of providing such information to apps can be developed in the future, I really don't mind.

Treating apps as criminals is very good if the performance penalty is negligible. People install all kinds of apps on their computers like Discord, Zoom, Steam, and other proprietary software. Controlling exactly how these interact with the rest of the system is a fundamental step to providing security and privacy on Linux desktops. What developers involved with Wayland should NOT do is go the X11 route and start creating APIs for uncontrolled communication which apps and framework developers end up relying on.

Disclaimer: I don't use a Wayland-based desktop personally, but I'm hearing that it's getting more and more feature complete. Apps like OBS Studio now have Wayland support (https://itsfoss.com/screen-record-obs-wayland/). So I think it's getting there. Wine will need more effort for sure, but if Wine ends up making it, then almost all apps will likely have a chance to use Wayland as well.

Comment

Originally posted by board View Post
                    As long as a controlled way of providing such information to apps can be developed in the future, I really don't mind.
                    So what's the point of Wayland refusing to provide it? Not a case of manpower, they refuse to. By design. Even if you send patches. "Patches not welcome".

Originally posted by board View Post
                    Treating apps as criminals is very good if the performance penalty is negligible. People install all kinds of apps on their computers like Discord, Zoom, Steam, and other proprietary software. Controlling exactly how these interact with the rest of the system is a fundamental step to providing security and privacy on Linux desktops. What developers involved with Wayland should NOT do is go the X11 route and start creating APIs for uncontrolled communication which apps and framework developers end up relying on.
                    Bullshit. That's the job of sandboxes, not forcing it for EVERY app for EVERY user.

It's easy to sandbox something on demand, if needed. It's almost impossible to cleanly "unsandbox" it once the features simply don't exist. Period.

Here's the thing. Maybe they'll find out a hack to get EDID information in Wayland. You know what though? That's bad. It means it's even worse. Wayland refuses it by design for "pseudo privacy" reasons. Now what does that tell you if you can still get this information otherwise? That it's crippled by design, because malware can still get it. So all it does is hinder normal apps like Wine to have to use hacks and workarounds.

If an app can get it, so can malware. If an app has to jump through hoops to get it, then Wayland is just a piece of shit design because it's detrimental to honest apps only. Malware doesn't mind jumping through hoops.

You remind me of DRM in games or anti-cheats that get bypassed for Linux compatibility. Then you go like "it's ok for it to exist, even if it's legitimate to bypass it sometimes, such as for running them on Linux". Remind me what's the point of them if you can bypass them? Just don't add them in the first place.

If YOU can bypass them, for legitimate reasons (that I agree with), then so can malware. So just don't add them at all. In Wayland's case, add the fucking features.

PS: Remember screen sharing? Recording your screen? Yep, not possible under Wayland, without jumping through hoops and extensions.

But you know what's funny though? At least on Nvidia GPUs, you can grab the framebuffer. You can literally inspect the framebuffer of the GPU before it reaches any software. Yes, it requires patching nvidia library to enable support on desktop consumer GPUs, but those libraries are not privileged, so malware can simply copy the necessary code or copy the library and patch it itself. It's not like it needs SUID, that's for executables, and yes it works just copying it.

Note that libraries can't be privileged, they get loaded in the address space of the process, in this case the malware, so it's not a flaw in the libraries, it's just how it works.

They don't care if it's illegal. It's malware after all.

So tell me again, what is the point of Wayland refusing to add screen capture? Malware can still do it. It just pisses off legit apps. Clowns who designed it.
                    Last edited by Weasel; 20 February 2023, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X