Lutris 0.5.13 Beta Released With Proton Support, Itch.io Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leopard View Post

Prefixes that gets created with Proton still has steamuser directory iirc.

Main difference is; Lutris is basically offloading their DXVK/VKD3D/Wine management to Steam this way.

Lutris as of today; still ships a Wine 7.2 based build, DXVK 1.10.3 ( August 2 2022 ) , vkd3d-proton 2.6 ( March 4 2022 ) . So they will likely to be keeping those in an unmaintained state while adding Proton support will be a good alternative for people to say : Just use Proton!

So none of the earlier concerns have changed etc., it is just Lutris needs Proton for different reasons.
    Please start the latest stable version of Lutris and check the WINE versions offered by them again.

Also, here's where they are getting their builds from, which you can also manually download and add to Lutris yourself:

Same thing with DXVK & VKD3D-Proton, just add the latest version yourself and set the corresponding setting inside Lutris to "manual".

Easy as that, honestly...

Comment

Originally posted by SerialCool View Post
      Does it make a difference if you use HeroicGamesLauncher, Lutris or Bottle or just wine.git + DXVK + VKD3D-Proton + Q4Wine.git?
      Games on local disks that don't run under Manjaro with wine.git + DXVK + VKD3D-Proton + Q4Wine.git don't run with Lutris, Bottle or HeroicGamesLauncher either.
      Or are there certain settings I'm overlooking in the various GameLauncher?​

Generally, a lot of games run with wine.git + DXVK + VKD3D-Proton, but I keep trying different ways to somehow get the few games that don't start to work. Most of the time they seem to start with a newer wine.git version at some point.

About my approach:
      - fetched wine.git from the AUR
      - Q4wine.git fetched from the AUR
      - set the Wine-Config to Windows 11
      - fetched dxvk from the AUR and added it to Wine.git via setup_dxvk install
      - fetched vkd3d-proton from the AUR and added it to Wine.git via setup_vkd3d_proton install.
      - Installed local games via setup.exe using Wine-git and started them with Game.exe.

Are there any improvements to this procedure and do more games run under the game launcher than with this method?

Many thanks for your feedback!
      Quite a few things you're missing out on:

- WINE has no support for Fsync.
      - By default, WINE has debug information enabled, which causes unnecessary slowdown.
      - Very easy enablement of GameScope, GameMode among many other useful options.

And please refrain from setting your Windows build under WINE to version 11, because that implementation is still not very mature.

Comment

Originally posted by SerialCool View Post

Good.

Then I would generalize the question.

Does it matter if you use Wine.git + DXVK + VKD3D-Proton or any other game launcher?
        After all, all Linux game launchers are built on Wine + DXVK + VKD3D-Proton.​
        First off, neither Wine.git, DXVK, nor VKD3D are game launchers. They're all conversion/translation layers; runners using the Lutris terminology. Lutris, Heroic, Steam, Epic, etc are launchers. None of them are built with Wine or any of the translation layers; they utilize the translation layers.

Most game launchers also use (only) the stable Wine version, while the Wine-Git version is newer and thus more (newer) games might work.​
        The game launchers are simply tools that use what you configure them to use whether it's Wine from stable, git, or RC, RPCS3, SNES9x, Proton from Valve or GE, DoxBox, or any other number of translators or emulators.

If you're using a Wine-specific launcher that doesn't handle other use-cases then I can see how that can be a bit confusing.

Using the launchers to easily change Wine versions, DXVK versions, etc is what can make games more stable or more likely to work.

​I think my general question can't be answered via a Discord server, as each game launcher community has its own opinion and experience.

Are there possibly general statistics or experiences, whether and with which Game-Lauchner more games work than with Wine.git + DXVK + VK3D-Proton?

Like I just said, the game launchers just manage runners and all that. Launchers like Lutris come with install scrips and runners like Proton have compatibility profiles, both of which can help with games and programs that don't work with upstream Wine out of the box due to needing some oddball DX9 DLL.

The launchers make managing all the translation layers, runners, prefixes, etc much easier. For example, with Lutris you have an easy-to-read GUI for setting Gamemode, DXVK versions, env variables, Vulkan implementations, Wine or Proton version, running things like programs or Winetricks in a game's prefix, easily swap between compiled and downloaded runners, and then create launch icons that will launch your games with all your settings, use the correct prefix, and all that stuff. Like I said above, not having to do all that crap manually or having to remember to do a lot of that crap is where the launchers come into play and can enhance stability.

While you can do all that manually, I think it's a lot easier to manage with a GUI. Then you have tools like ProtonUp-Qt that make it easier to check for updates and install custom runners like Wine, Proton, GE versions of those, DXVK, VKD3D, etc into Lutris or Steam.​

​Hope with this question, you can start more.​
        As far as improvements, you can checkout all the cool things at FroggingFamily and start compiling your own runners with native and other optimizations.

Speaking of your own stack, I've been installing DXVK and VKD3D runners manually lately and have to trick Lutris to use them...unplug the internet before opening Lutris so it can't sync runners online to use the old crap it offers and then it'll instead scan the local directory for runners you installed manually. I hope they fixed that. I got that tip from the Lutris bug report.

I hope that helps.
        Last edited by skeevy420; 12 February 2023, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Please start the latest stable version of Lutris and check the WINE versions offered by them again.

Also, here's where they are getting their builds from, which you can also manually download and add to Lutris yourself:

Same thing with DXVK & VKD3D-Proton, just add the latest version yourself and set the corresponding setting inside Lutris to "manual".

Easy as that, honestly...
          Repository containing source code for various Lutris Wine builds - lutris/wine

Check your facts again...

Besides i can't see them offering Wine GE 7.37 etc.

Problem is; i know my way around Lutris. I use DXVK master+vkd3d-proton master with it by adding they manually already, fetching latest Wine GE via ProtonUP-QT for it also.

Newbies doesn't know any of that and they get a crappy experience because how it offers out of date components by default.

So your argument is pretty much irrelevant. I use it as a Wine front end manager but still getting out of date components by default is very annoying.

Comment

Problem is; i know my way around Lutris. I use DXVK master+vkd3d-proton master with it by adding they manually already, fetching latest Wine GE via ProtonUP-QT for it also.

Newbies doesn't know any of that and they get a crappy experience because how it offers out of date components by default.

So your argument is pretty much irrelevant. I use it as a Wine front end manager but still getting out of date components by default is very annoying.
            I covered that and how to get around it

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Typo: SvummMM
              Sounds like the VM has gone swimming.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 12 February 2023, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Quite a few things you're missing out on:

- WINE has no support for Fsync.
                I thought wine-staging had support for Fsync?

- By default, WINE has debug information enabled, which causes unnecessary slowdown.

Never knew that, thanks!

Comment

First of all, here's a direct quote from the link I posted about the latest custom WINE builds for Lutris:

My custom build of wine, made to use with lutris. Built with lutris's buildbot.
                  Now please open the Lutris window which shows the available WINE builds and compare the version numbers yourself.

If you are unwilling to do so, then I will gladly post a screenshot here once I'm back at one of my PCs.

And I agree that Lutris ought to update the stuff they provide by default more frequently, but the situation still is alot more manageable thanks to the existence of Lutris than without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I thought wine-staging had support for Fsync?

Never knew that, thanks!
                    You're welcome!

BTW, Lutris disables the debug output of WINE by default, which is just one more reason to use it for managing & playing your games on Linux.

And no, WINE-Staging never added support for Fsync, only Esync.

AFAIK, upstream WINE doesn't want to add it because macOS can't use it.

Talk about Apple holding progress back once again...

Comment

Lutris as of today; still ships a Wine 7.2 based build, DXVK 1.10.3 ( August 2 2022 ) , vkd3d-proton 2.6 ( March 4 2022 ) . So they will likely to be keeping those in an unmaintained state while adding Proton support will be a good alternative for people to say : Just use Proton!
                      In general I do agree with you. But using the latest dxvk or vkd3d is way easier just download the release from git vkd3d-proton/dxvk and put it into the lutris runners folder - where all the other versions of dxvk/vkd3d-proton are. And in the game configuration tab just use the name (type in manually) of the folder with your desired dxvk version respectively vkd3d-proton.

edit...just realise this was already writen by others...
                      Last edited by CochainComplex; 13 February 2023, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X