Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.27 Dubbed "The Best Plasma 5 Version Ever"

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.27 Dubbed "The Best Plasma 5 Version Ever"

KDE developers and users are very excited for Plasma 5.27 that will be making its stable debut next week and also serves as the last major release of the Plasma 5 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would be sad if not. Which software was ever released as "well, we screwed up, this software sucks, plenty of new bugs, enjoy anyway! Yolo" ;-)
    Last edited by rene; 11 February 2023, 08:02 AM.

Comment

"Introducing the best iphone ever"
      Yeah, it sounds too familiar

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        Would be sad if not. Which software was ever released as "well, we screwed up, this software sucks, planty of new bugs, enjoy anyway! Yolo" ;-)
        Windows 98.

Comment

Originally posted by avis
          Lots of people have been asking to compare Linux DEs in terms of RAM use and it was done two months ago.

KDE Plasma turned out to be the worst.
          From the article:
          P.S. KDE under Wayland was very unstable. On every second boot I couldn't launch any applications after logging in. This could be an issue with VirtualBox though. Gnome worked flawlessly.
          Fedora seems to be a shit distribution if they can't get Plasma working right.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            Would be sad if not. Which software was ever released as "well, we screwed up, this software sucks, plenty of new bugs, enjoy anyway! Yolo" ;-)
            78% of all new games.

Comment

I presume Wayland + KDE are just not good for a VirtualBox virtual environment. There's no need to blame Fedora or KDE.

Wayland has been proven to work well only under Intel and AMD open source drivers.
              You can blame Fedora a bit. They do enable debugging and services that other distributions don't.

Not to denigrate what you did, but picking one distribution and doing one test per subject per desktop environment isn't actually testing -- that's getting a baseline using Fedora with VirtualBox. Repeat all those tests with Debian, Arch, SUSE, Mageia, and Clear and you'll be onto something in regards to VirtualBox desktop resource usage. Repeat all of that on bare metal and you'll have yourself enough for the contents of one Featured Phoronix article that would compare both desktop environment usage and desktop environment usage on bare metal using WTF ever your host OS is.

Comment

I've been testing it for a few days on my Tumbleweed using the KDE Factory repositories, I found a couple of bugs that I reported and they have been fixed.
                I have to admit that I really like this version, I also like the new tiling option.
                Second monitor handling for my use case now seems perfect. I'm using the Plasma wayland session anyway, I haven't used Xorg for quite some time.
                So good....​

Comment

Well, it would be nice if Plasma wouldn't crash anymore during basic usage.

Comment

Lots of people have been asking to compare Linux DEs in terms of RAM use and it was done two months ago.

KDE Plasma turned out to be the worst.
                    Me trying kde for the nth time:
                    - complete the installation
                    - wonder why everything is slow
                    - find cpu 100% on fresh install
                    - wipe it, change de/distro

Comment

Working...
                    X