Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berniyh
    replied
    Yes, unless you enforce x11 for specific applications (can be done via env vars). For Qt, you might want to check that qtwayland-6 is installed in case you're also using Qt6 apps. qtwayland-5 should be pulled in automatically when you install Plasma.

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
    Uhm … all of them?
    I don't think I have found a KDE/Qt5/Qt6 app that is not run natively, but I haven't checked every single one.
    Since they are all based on the same frameworks and toolkit, I doubt you'll find much difference.

In any case, you can try for yourself. Just run
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin org.kde.KWin.showDebugConsole
    in a Plasma Wayland session and there you can see which windows are native Wayland and which are X11 Windows.
    so switching from xorg PLASMA to wayland PLASMA changes xorg apps to the same apps based on wayland?
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 11 February 2023, 03:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
    I would like to know how many application are based on Wayland natively.
    Uhm … all of them?
    I don't think I have found a KDE/Qt5/Qt6 app that is not run natively, but I haven't checked every single one.
    Since they are all based on the same frameworks and toolkit, I doubt you'll find much difference.

In any case, you can try for yourself. Just run
    Code:
    qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin org.kde.KWin.showDebugConsole
    in a Plasma Wayland session and there you can see which windows are native Wayland and which are X11 Windows.

Leave a comment:

• MorrisS.
    replied
    By the way, it seems that the latest release of PLASMA or KDe Neon itself has issues dealing with repositories. Indeed, some packages are not upgradeable via both Discover or Muon, if not by pkcon terminal command. So, I hope this issue will be fixed in the upcoming new release of PLASMA 5.
    I hope that PLASMA 6 will be rendered by vulkan and to be able to switch to PLASMA Wayland. I would like to know how many application are based on Wayland natively. Gnome developers have published a link listing about the wayland native applications and programs. It would be great to have reports about this argument from KDe developers.

Leave a comment:

• redgreen925
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I often can't help but wonder what people like you do to cause that to happen. I have gone over a month without rebooting my Intel+Arch+KDE+Wayland setup, even where parts of KDE have updated and I still didn't reboot, and encountered no issues (or at least none that weren't effortless to recover from). My configuration is pretty different from the default and I've been using it for years (in other words, there's nothing fresh or expected about it) so I should be ripe for issues, but I hardly get them. If anything, they've only been decreasing.
    Only time I have needed to reboot my Debian install is when the kernel got upgraded or things like libc, otherwise it just keeps going and going like the Energizer Bunny.

I only have one last gripe with KDE+Wayland, which is that sometimes, Chrome renders images all garbled, but I suspect KDE has nothing to do with this and it's an issue with the Ozone flag. Ironically, this happens the most with Google Image search. Otherwise, the last of my KDE issues was fixed a few months ago. Everything else I've reported or griped about has been fixed.
    I got tired of playing the monitor lottery with that piece of junk Wayland, it trying to decide which monitor it was going to start a program on. On my three monitor setup it was random good luck it starting on the last monitor used and most likely would be starting on the monitor I use for playing video which is not turned on most times. x11 for the hate their trolls put out on it can at the very least remember where a program last start or was active on and do it there again.

Leave a comment:

• redgreen925
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post

From the article:

Fedora seems to be a shit distribution if they can't get Plasma working right.
    They have had an open hostility to KDE from the beginning way back in the pre-1.0 days when I first used it on Redhat 5.2 which was my first distro way back before the new century started. KDE was second class despised citizen because they had the audacity to use a toolkit that was not "free" enough for the Gnome purists that infest their distribution as it is made by a company. I switched away from it to Mandrake that had a very fine implementation of it that worked reasonable well. The hostility still continues to this very day and rears it ugly head all the time via their trolls spreading the FUD about it at all opportunities they can find. The current beta of it, 5.26.90, in Debian is rock solid stable I have been running it since it has been released not a single problem to be seen anywhere in it. It is damn fine modern piece of software that unlike Gnome tries to add useful features not take them away from their users. Doing the it is my way or the highway the Gnome people like in their quest to out Apple, Apple, their idea of a perfect OS they mimic at all times. And the control freak nature of their parasite corporation who now owns them, following the Apple playbook, IBM and their never ending idea of taking control of Linux through their messing with the core infrastructure imposing that garbage like pulse audio and systemd upon us.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post
    Actually this should be largely fixed too, at least as of Plasma 5.26. If you're not seeing it work right, we need a bug report.

First read https://notmart.org/blog/2022/12/multi-screen to learn how to submit multi-monitor bug reports that are actionable and can have a good chance of being fixed!
    Ah, good to know. I have not paid specific attention to this in the last couple of releases, since I got mostly used to it and didn't expect there to be code specifically for this situation.
    I'll check if it still happens for me.

Leave a comment:

• ngraham
    replied
    Well go and report that then.

Keep in mind though that your task may not be as easy as you might think. Newer displays (DP1.2 or later, not sure about when it was introduced for HDMI) cut the connection once you turn them off, so as far as Plasma (or rather kscreen) is concerned that display is gone and with it the rendering area.
    If you turn it on again, it's everything backwards.
    Maybe they could introduce some code to save and, in case the exact same display is reattached, restore the state, position and size of each window, but that could as well introduce a couple of weird bugs. Maybe you hit one of those, quite possible since they exchanged a lot of the code handling that stuff.
    In fact we already have such code. But maybe it's not working quite right. As you pointed out, this stuff is quite complicated. That's why we need actionable bug reports, so we can fix these issues!

At least for multiscreen setups, your windows will *definitely* move around once you turn of one of the screens, in case they use newer connectors.
    Actually this should be largely fixed too, at least as of Plasma 5.26. If you're not seeing it work right, we need a bug report.

First read https://notmart.org/blog/2022/12/multi-screen to learn how to submit multi-monitor bug reports that are actionable and can have a good chance of being fixed!

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    It was a joke …
    On my end too … (hence the wink emoji)
    In reality, ME wasn't all that bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNDeyYP98A

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Nothing special, moving the mouse over the panel on Plasma Wayland is sometimes enough ;-)
    Or if the internet connection goes somehow done, while Plasma believes it is still working, Plasma can freeze quite easy too. There are plenty of bug reports about basic issues. Yes, most of these issues can be recovered or can be fixed by restarting Plasma, but I don't think that a user should see bugs like this. I still continue to use Plasma as I still have some hope.
    I haven't experienced any of these issues in the last couple of months. I did initially on Intel hardware, but now with AMD hardware, Plasma Wayland is pretty much rock solid.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X