KDE Plasma 5.27 Dubbed "The Best Plasma 5 Version Ever"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Way to go gatekeeping a person that mentions a fresh install that went wrong
    If that user - as they mentioned - immediately gave up (for the nth time) and just installed another distro/DE, that user is already gatekeeping themselves. It's not like this problem is common. At lot of people apparently use KDE without such an issue. So it can still be a bug in KDE, but likely in a user-specific combination (of the distro they chose, the software they installed along with it, the hardware, whatever). If there's not the slightest interest in finding out why that happens, what do they expect? If no one else seems to have the problem, it likely don't vanish magically.

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

Who on Earth sees 100% CPU load and goes to reboot - wipe - another distro install without even trying to check for the culprit? He just trolls us doesn't he? Look at his post again. Or maybe he's just sick I don't know. What I know is that I don't want to play this guessing game any longer, esp with an obvious well-known troll like mirmirmir.
      True, he's well known here, writing first or second posts, taking indecent profit of not having a real job or life.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

Indeed. Is not 5.27 the version to give a best effort to multi-monitor support. Finally? I feel I remember reading on these pages something about that. Remains to be seen.
        ​It still doesn't seem to get single-monitor right.

I'm using the 5.27 beta. The only additional thing I want for the final is to be able to turn my single 4K display off and on again with everything being exactly as it was and without the whole system freezing as it did yesterday. Not so bad if I lock the screen first other than the lockscreen being unresponsive initially while something allocates a lot of memory in the background before presumably being bumped off by the kernel. Other than that (and wondering why widgets keep trying to merge with each other again) it's pretty good!

Edit: Below shows a weird (and repeatable) dip in memory usage when turning the display back on. Widget not longer has any margin with the one below.

image.png
        Last edited by ResponseWriter; 11 February 2023, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Obviously, it's the last.

Comment

I have been waiting for one feature / bug to be resolved and that is for krfb to handle keyboard input when using wayland. This seems like is has been resolved / fixed, and hopefully this will drop with kde 5.27 backports on kubuntu. Having remote access to the kde desktop in wayland via a chromebook when travelling is really important for me. This was the only thing holding me back from wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
              I think you're confusing Windows 98 with Windows 95 or ME.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                ​It still doesn't seem to get single-monitor right.
                Well go and report that then.

Keep in mind though that your task may not be as easy as you might think. Newer displays (DP1.2 or later, not sure about when it was introduced for HDMI) cut the connection once you turn them off, so as far as Plasma (or rather kscreen) is concerned that display is gone and with it the rendering area.
                If you turn it on again, it's everything backwards.
                Maybe they could introduce some code to save and, in case the exact same display is reattached, restore the state, position and size of each window, but that could as well introduce a couple of weird bugs. Maybe you hit one of those, quite possible since they exchanged a lot of the code handling that stuff.

At least for multiscreen setups, your windows will *definitely* move around once you turn of one of the screens, in case they use newer connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I think you're confusing Windows 98 with Windows 95 or ME.
                  It was a joke …

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

Nothing special, moving the mouse over the panel on Plasma Wayland is sometimes enough ;-)
                    Or if the internet connection goes somehow done, while Plasma believes it is still working, Plasma can freeze quite easy too. There are plenty of bug reports about basic issues. Yes, most of these issues can be recovered or can be fixed by restarting Plasma, but I don't think that a user should see bugs like this. I still continue to use Plasma as I still have some hope.
                    I haven't experienced any of these issues in the last couple of months. I did initially on Intel hardware, but now with AMD hardware, Plasma Wayland is pretty much rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                      It was a joke …
                      On my end too … (hence the wink emoji)
                      In reality, ME wasn't all that bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaNDeyYP98A

Comment

Working...
                      X