Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirox
    replied
    I am planning on switching from Ubuntu 22.04 Gnome to Kubuntu.. As Plasma 5.27 is LTS, would it be back-ported to Kubuntu 22.04 LTS ?

Leave a comment:

• ferry
    replied
    Originally posted by aksdb View Post

If that user - as they mentioned - immediately gave up (for the nth time) and just installed another distro/DE, that user is already gatekeeping themselves. It's not like this problem is common. At lot of people apparently use KDE without such an issue. So it can still be a bug in KDE, but likely in a user-specific combination (of the distro they chose, the software they installed along with it, the hardware, whatever). If there's not the slightest interest in finding out why that happens, what do they expect? If no one else seems to have the problem, it likely don't vanish magically.
    “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Memory consumption is overrated anyway. Don't get me wrong, of course apps should make sure they don't use an excessive amount of memory, but whether your DE uses 100 or 200M more or less really shouldn't be the reason why you pick a certain DE.
    Over here, Plasma with quite a few apps running (including Firefox with a lot of tabs) takes only about 6.4 GB in total. So even with 8 GB of memory (+ swap) I'd be totally fine and I don't pay attention to reduce the memory footprint of my system even one little bit. I actually have to start a lot more (big) apps (like Krita + loading an image, Libreoffice etc.) to actually get to 8GB.
    Quite honestly, having 8 GB of system memory really sounds reasonable in 2023. We're not in the 2000s anymore.
    I really don't know why you would restrict yourself to less.

Leave a comment:

• Morty
    replied
    Originally posted by cooperate View Post

Nah, Plasma is memory hungry on Debian too.
    That's the oddest thing since about every test and review the lat 4-5 years, posted here and elsewhere, shows Plasma to be only slightly above or on par with Xfce. But then again Xfce is not that lean on memory, compared to running only non desktop window managers like IceWM or FWM etc. Or pure command-line for that matter.

Leave a comment:

• TemplarGR
    replied
    Originally posted by esbeeb View Post
    I don't see any point in ever trying KDE, (or Gnome), because if they ever manage to stabilize it, it will be very soon after that they will very likely decide to make serious breaking changes in the lower levels, requiring rebuilding and refactoring everything at the app level again. The whole ecosystem will be swirled into a messy froth - hemorrhaging users left, right and center - which then takes years to settle back down. Rinse and repeat. Forever.

Thunderbird has lost their marbles, and now wants to do the same. I like Thunderbird just as it is, even though it takes 5 seconds - which is no hardship - to launch on my gen8 Intel i5 CPU - which is like 5 or 6ish years old now.

IMHO, it seems that it's only the Linux Mint team (or MX Linux) who knows when to leave a good thing be, and pretty much just refine it perpetually.
    BS, lots of BS, BS everywhere....

Those changes you mentioned, happen across many years of development, they are not so sudden. On a year by year basis, the changes to both KDE and GNOME are not that intrusive as in to make people uncomfortable or software totally incompatible. You know, change happens, it is a part of life. Why be deprived of superior DEs just because they might change in the future? Use them in their ever-incomplete status, right now. Unless you are some kind of perfectionist who will never use anything that isn't "complete"/final... But nothing in life is every complete or final, especially in software land...

As for Linux Mint, don't make me laugh... They are just leeching from GNOME and Ubuntu with minor modifications. They are just modders, essentially. If you are using Mint, you are still using GNOME.

Leave a comment:

• cooperate
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post

From the article:

Fedora seems to be a shit distribution if they can't get Plasma working right.
    Nah, Plasma is memory hungry on Debian too.

Leave a comment:

• esbeeb
    replied
    I don't see any point in ever trying KDE, (or Gnome), because if they ever manage to stabilize it, it will be very soon after that they will very likely decide to make serious breaking changes in the lower levels, requiring rebuilding and refactoring everything at the app level again. The whole ecosystem will be swirled into a messy froth - hemorrhaging users left, right and center - which then takes years to settle back down. Rinse and repeat. Forever.

Thunderbird has lost their marbles, and now wants to do the same. I like Thunderbird just as it is, even though it takes 5 seconds - which is no hardship - to launch on my gen8 Intel i5 CPU - which is like 5 or 6ish years old now.

IMHO, it seems that it's only the Linux Mint team (or MX Linux) who knows when to leave a good thing be, and pretty much just refine it perpetually.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Hmm, every time I try and use Wayland (inc Plasma Wayland) I always get disappointed with application support and the numerous little speed bumps along the road.

To name one serious speed bump, Discord requires to be focused in order to voice chat, it has no global compatibility with shortcuts, but I hear Discord devs are mostly to blame, but still, Wayland should have some compatibility layer to resolve those sort of issues regardless because not all software will be updated to support wayland!!!

Wayland app support still puts it a little worse then Windows11 IMO. (when comparing previous version/systems)

Leave a comment:

• _r00t-
    replied
    Originally posted by reba View Post

From the article:

Fedora seems to be a shit distribution if they can't get Plasma working right.
    Fedora is good and it's running great with GNOME but when you're using KDE Plasma maybe you'll notice some weird issues. I'm using Fedora Linux 37 + KDE since beta and my previous distro was Arch + KDE Plasma. Sometimes under wayland .... i can say rarely the panel restarts and i can't find anything related to this at logs. I also noticed that there's some mess with qt5 packages and especially with those -freeworld from rpmfusion. it's ok things will getting better i believe!
    Last edited by _r00t-; 11 February 2023, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bearoso
    replied
    Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
    Obviously, it's the last.
    Yeah, it's clearly a joke since they're moving on to plasma 6.

Seriously, though, these people have been doing a great job lately. I'm using Plasma all the time now instead of Gnome. It's even been decent with Wayland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X