FFmpeg 6.0 Will Be Big With AV1 Hardware Decoding, Many Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 6.0 Will Be Big With AV1 Hardware Decoding, Many Other Features

Phoronix: FFmpeg 6.0 Will Be Big With AV1 Hardware Decoding, Many Other Features

Well known multimedia developer and VideoLAN president Jean-Baptiste Kempf presented at FOSDEM 2023 this weekend on the upcoming FFmpeg 6.0 release as well as dav1d v1.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And at the same time Kodi is moving to use the upstream FFmpeg version:
    As discussed at the last couple team meetings. I proposed that we switch to using pure upstream ffmpeg. We carry a few patches that may not even be relevant anymore. FFmpeg/[email protected]:FFm...

Too bad Firefox is not doing the same.
    I heard once that Firefox uses FFmpeg too, but last time I checked Firefox was working fine on Youtube and I didn't have FFmpeg installed as it's not a dependency of Firefox.
    So I don't see how the statement that Firefox is using FFmpeg could be true if it works even without it and it doesn't have it as a dependency.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      And at the same time Kodi is moving to use the upstream FFmpeg version:
      As discussed at the last couple team meetings. I proposed that we switch to using pure upstream ffmpeg. We carry a few patches that may not even be relevant anymore. FFmpeg/[email protected]:FFm...

Too bad Firefox is not doing the same.
      I heard once that Firefox uses FFmpeg too, but last time I checked Firefox was working fine on Youtube and I didn't have FFmpeg installed as it's not a dependency of Firefox.
      So I don't see how the statement that Firefox is using FFmpeg could be true if it works even without it and it doesn't have it as a dependency.
      Firefox on Archlinux has dependency on ffmpeg : https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/firefox/

Comment

On my arch Firefox package require ffmpeg for quite a long time - it was added as a dependency for 44.0.2 version 7 years ago. IIRC previously Firefox bundled it's own copy of Libav stripped of any non-free codecs. Thus Youtube could work with vp9+opus. And OpenH264 extension was created to improve that on other sites. Nowadays ffmpeg is a dependency and I can enjoy AV1 hardware decoding on Youtube on Linux

Comment

FFmpeg is 91.5% C and 6.6% assembly. No Rust.

I wish it was written in Rust so it would be safer.

Canonical packages Firefox and Chrome as Snap packages which is great.
          I wish VLC media player, mpv, MPlayer, MPlayer2, SMPlayer and other media players could also be sandboxed to improve their security in case there is a vulnerability in the FFmpeg decoder.

Comment

My "dream" version of ffmpeg is basically a feature merge with VapourSynth, with (more) automatic pipelining, better support for external code and a more sane way to write out long filter chains than a single enormous CLI command (like VapourSynth's Python syntax).
            Last edited by brucethemoose; 06 February 2023, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              FFmpeg is 91.5% C and 6.6% assembly. No Rust.

I wish it was written in Rust so it would be safer.
              Doing is better than wishing. So you could just start!

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post

Firefox on Archlinux has dependency on ffmpeg : https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/firefox/
                Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                On my arch Firefox package require ffmpeg for quite a long time - it was added as a dependency for 44.0.2 version 7 years ago. IIRC previously Firefox bundled it's own copy of Libav stripped of any non-free codecs. Thus Youtube could work with vp9+opus. And OpenH264 extension was created to improve that on other sites. Nowadays ffmpeg is a dependency and I can enjoy AV1 hardware decoding on Youtube on Linux
                On Debian the firefox package doesn't depends on it, it just recommends it with the libavcodec59 or libavcodec-extra59 packages:

AFAIK recommended packages are never installed by default, just the dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by patrick1946 View Post

Doing is better than wishing. So you could just start!
                  I am pretty shitty at Rust, when I try to write it, I always get compiler errors.
                  Then I put the match inside the match inside the match and it looks like a tipped over tree.

I am pretty dumb too so I don't know anything about math or algorithms or media or decoding.

Comment

On Debian the firefox package doesn't depends on it, it just recommends it with the libavcodec59 or libavcodec-extra59 packages:

AFAIK recommended packages are never installed by default, just the dependencies.
                    But libavcodec IS ffmpeg

Comment

Working...
                    X