MythTV 33 Released For Improving This Popular HTPC/PVR Open-Source Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 33 Released For Improving This Popular HTPC/PVR Open-Source Software

Phoronix: MythTV 33 Released For Improving This Popular HTPC/PVR Open-Source Software

Even with local digital video recording from your antenna or cable being far less common these days than a decade prior, in the era of Internet streaming the open-source MythTV software continues making progress for this dominant Linux solution for HTPC/PVR needs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

mythTV has always been interesting to me, but I never got a chance to use it, but with things how they are, actually looking for an IPTV solution so maybe mythTV will work for this

Comment

I built a bay trails computer specifically for use with MythBuntu the cable company went encrypted only even for basic channels so I never got to use it. Swapped the HDD out for an SSD and added a second stick of 4GB of RAM and it makes my mom a nice Xubuntu computer for playing card games on and checking email and facebook without having to worry about viruses like with Win XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
        mythTV has always been interesting to me, but I never got a chance to use it, but with things how they are, actually looking for an IPTV solution so maybe mythTV will work for this
        That's exactly what I've been looking for, for around my house, and the terminology has bee elusive with all the other Ipod streaming jive. I have TV antenna cable going to one desktop, rather than run more RG-6 cable around the house or to the garage, why not just stream the TV from the main desktop/server. IPTV has been the terminology I've been looking for, for months/years! The Engima FTA satellite receiver has had this IPTV feature for years, and it is awesome! Enigma calls the package providing IPTV "OpenWebif" package. Nice web browser interface, simply provides a *.m3u/*.m3u8 file, for easy playing with mplayer/mpv. (See Enigma DVB Wikipedia)

Been waiting forever for Samsung (or some vendor) TV's for manufacturing such an IPTV interface TV feature, but I'm sure they're more focused on selling more TV's.

I used to use MythTV during the early 2000's, but gave-up as the database was constantly corrupting, and the server/client model was at times, breaking or buggy. Since the early 2000's, I just manually record/zap (dvb tools) along side crontab scheduling, and have a custom script for doing so. Simple and just works. I might experiment again wtih MythTV, as I'm pretty sure it is capable of providing IPTV... however, can just as easily use dvb tools for targeting the channel and then streaming using netcat. Only problem is network bandwidth, and will likely need to at least resize resolution on-the-fly... or maybe compress on the fly.. shrugs.

videolan/vlc dvbblast might be something worth looking into, for those whom have a DVB card.
        Last edited by rogerx; 07 February 2023, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post

That's exactly what I've been looking for, for around my house, and the terminology has bee elusive with all the other Ipod streaming jive. I have TV antenna cable going to one desktop, rather than run more RG-6 cable around the house or to the garage, why not just stream the TV from the main desktop/server. IPTV has been the terminology I've been looking for, for months/years! The Engima FTA satellite receiver has had this IPTV feature for years, and it is awesome! Enigma calls the package providing IPTV "OpenWebif" package. Nice web browser interface, simply provides a *.m3u/*.m3u8 file, for easy playing with mplayer/mpv. (See Enigma DVB Wikipedia)

Been waiting forever for Samsung (or some vendor) TV's for manufacturing such an IPTV interface TV feature, but I'm sure they're more focused on selling more TV's.

I used to use MythTV during the early 2000's, but gave-up as the database was constantly corrupting, and the server/client model was at times, breaking or buggy. Since the early 2000's, I just manually record/zap (dvb tools) along side crontab scheduling, and have a custom script for doing so. Simple and just works. I might experiment again wtih MythTV, as I'm pretty sure it is capable of providing IPTV... however, can just as easily use dvb tools for targeting the channel and then streaming using netcat. Only problem is network bandwidth, and will likely need to at least resize resolution on-the-fly... or maybe compress on the fly.. shrugs.

videolan/vlc dvbblast might be something worth looking into, for those whom have a DVB card.
          yeah, for me I dont need anything complicated, even something like iptv-org with actually decent EPG would do, but the EPG is very lack luster even for the fairly small amount of channels of relevance it has to me. honestly at this point im stuck trying to find a good canadian service for it.

Comment

yeah, for me I dont need anything complicated, even something like iptv-org with actually decent EPG would do, but the EPG is very lack luster even for the fairly small amount of channels of relevance it has to me. honestly at this point im stuck trying to find a good canadian service for it.
            After some searching, dvblast seems to be about it, think dvblast also provides a host of features such as EPG data. There's other tools, boasting unscrambling/un-encrypting and are currently in a broken source code state. Some (tools) are compatible with MythTV, but again, needing to be compiled and/or broken.

Since dvblast requires compiling and dependencies for compiling, I'll likely just put together some existing tools incantations, using dvb5-zap and netcat. Since some over-the-air broadcasts are high resolution, I might either reduce resolution or further compress on-the-fly using ffmpeg. EPG data is usually readily viewed using titantv/zap2it websites. MPEG2 TS video with 1920x1080 resolution seems to be 9197 kb/sec, so shouldn't need to resize/compress.

Comment

I have used MythTV with IPTV on occasion. It's been able to do it for years. It's just a matter of coming up with the channel list with urls and not pissing off a provider in the process by using a publicly distributed list of dubious origin that the credentials quit working as soon as they are found out. Personally, I would want IPTV that I pay for legally and be able to use MythTV to watch it through. There are some channels that you can use such as NASA to your heart's content, they want you to be able to see it.

Comment

Working...
              X