Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Web Engine Publishes Its 2023 Roadmap

Phoronix: Servo Web Engine Publishes Its 2023 Roadmap

Back in 2020 Mozilla moved Servo to the Linux Foundation for the Rust-written web engine after it laid off the Servo developers. Servo development is now community/volunteer-driven and a road-map was published yesterday outlining some of their hopes for this calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn, I thought it was dead after Mozilla laid off all those engineers. Or at least, in the same state of GNU Hurd is in right now.

Comment

Who funded it?

Comment

this is extremely exciting. servo can already somewhat be used as a web browser kind of, I really hope someone takes this and makes a usable browser out of it, since I detest the way Firefox and chrome are going. servo is not really a closed ecosystem, it's very modular, unlike chrome or Firefox, a single developer can easily work on hacking features into servo by simply going down the chain.

using JXL as an example, all you really need to do is add JXL to image-rs, and then its not too hard to integrate into servo, since servo IIRC uses image-rs for image support. ofc this should work with many other features you could add too. now this isn't the case for everything. but it's a lot better situation

Originally posted by cooperate View Post
        Damn, I thought it was dead after Mozilla laid off all those engineers. Or at least, in the same state of GNU Hurd is in right now.
        for a long time, everyone thought servo was going to be in maintenance mod.

Originally posted by neoe View Post
        Who funded it?
        no idea, but igallia has 4 devs working on it​. so it's very promising, but I know with this comming back, tauri is looking into using servo for their webengine now, so it might have been a consumer of tauri? I'm not sure of anyone else actually looking to use servo that would actually fund it.

Comment

Originally posted by neoe View Post
          Who funded it?
          I saw Futurewei in one presentation

Comment

It's dead, Jim.

Comment

The link at the beginning doesn't work.

Comment

Seems like a solid, conservative roadmap.

Comment

So they are trying to update the dependencies of the master branch for 3 quartals?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                    So they are trying to update the dependencies of the master branch for 3 quartals?
                    I wouldn't be surprised if this is more work then it sounds, web tech is a very complicated thing afterall

Comment

Working...
                    X