System76 Adding XWayland Support & Other Improvements To Its COSMIC DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by middy View Post
    not only over gtk is really the gnome's toolkit, its also that gnome is gnome, not pop_os. pop_os made a lot of changes and used extensions and each gnome release always breaks stuff. so its not surprising at all pop_os ended up going the way of a few distros in making their own desktop environment than continue to release a modified version of gnome to the point its held up like frankestein.

i have a soft spot for gnome. i used gnome for almost two years when 40 came out... but i recently moved over to kde because i didn't want to worry about extensions anymore for basic stuff like a system tray.... i am interested in cosmic but i am turned off by it being yet another toolkit to fragment the already fragment linux eco system.
    I am a fan of neither KDE nor gnome, nor really any DE, all of them have issues, im hoping my major gripes are resolve with cosmic, either bugs or weird design decisions, or just a CSD I dont personally like.

cosmic has a good chance at satsifying the first two issues

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Are you dumb? Those crap are using c, the unsafe language, their program can leak memory and crash, corrupt data, get the sensitive data stolen. Rust is the language that is safe, solve all those problems, and obsoletes everything else, like there's no reason to keep using c/c++ when rust is there.
      So I take it that you are a junior developer? Sorry, but that's what your comment shows.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

So I take it that you are a junior developer? Sorry, but that's what your comment shows.
        I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm..

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          Sorry if I'm being blunt, but from that screenshot it doesn't seem any different from the ui principles that Gnome already uses (CSD's hamburger menus, etc). So I don't understand what was their problem with Gnome in the first place?
          If Cosmic or that new toolkit they're developing doesn't offer anything new or extraordinary that other desktops/toolkits don't already offer, then I don't understand the point of this whole endeavour and I think it just adds to the Linux desktop fragmentation.
          I think this will be a make or break for PopOS. They either pull it well and convince people to move away from Gnome, or cause people to switch away from PopOS to some Gnome or KDE based distro. This is a huge undertaking because writing the DE code is just a part of the project; there is still a lot of areas that I don't think System76's team is big enough for. I have my doubts, but I wish them success.

Comment

Hmm.. yeah, I guess you're right. After re-reading the comment it does sound like sarcasm.

Comment

One can only hope...

Comment

Sorry if I'm being blunt, but from that screenshot it doesn't seem any different from the ui principles that Gnome already uses (CSD's hamburger menus, etc). So I don't understand what was their problem with Gnome in the first place?
                If Cosmic or that new toolkit they're developing doesn't offer anything new or extraordinary that other desktops/toolkits don't already offer, then I don't understand the point of this whole endeavour and I think it just adds to the Linux desktop fragmentation.
                No one is stopping Pop_OS! and his team from creating their own toolkit and DE, and these projects have every right to exist, It's like a BSD variant makes its own toolkit tomorrow and others will complain that it's going to fragment the Linux desktop ecosystem (even though those systems aren't Linux despite they share most of the same technologies).

Comment

I couldn't care less about their own DE. Why won't they fix the major issues? First add SecureBoot support to PopOS, then go play with your crayons...

Comment

Why people feel like arguing for/against gnome vs cosmic..?
                    Let both side do their stuff and let's see in the long term who was right...
                    And I'm someone who would love a unique gnu/linux os so don't try to convince me about how joining force is better than fork.. it's just that these forum wars are useless.

Comment

I wouldn't be suprised if long term it would be one of the most stable DEs around. You have commercial support, and you have it written in language pretty much (in practical meaning) preventing all memory issues and a lot of logic ones. Because it is modern it doesn't have to carry a lot of old garbage, and system76 is company aimed at average users not at server space like Red hat.

Iced toolkit also supports Vulkan rendering what is nice.
                      Last edited by piotrj3; 31 January 2023, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X