System76 Adding XWayland Support & Other Improvements To Its COSMIC DE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Adding XWayland Support & Other Improvements To Its COSMIC DE

Phoronix: System76 Adding XWayland Support & Other Improvements To Its COSMIC DE

In addition to new hardware from Colorado-based Linux laptop/desktop retailer System76, this year we can look forward to more work on their COSMIC desktop environment being developed as part of their Pop!_OS Linux distribution. Already for kicking off 2023 they have made a number of strides in their COSMIC DE development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see they like Windows 11... at least for the task bar... Why does every dev these days think that users will only have 2 or 3 apps open and only one window per app?? On the plus side the "expose" features have gotten to the point where they are more usable than the task bar... still grouped tasks suck hard.

Comment

Been testing cosmic a lot recently, Working with mpv-paper which is really nice overall I like what it has going for it, Really hope they showcase the app launcher, its a really elegant piece of work (though it's too buggy for it to be usable at least on arch right now)

Comment

Okay, just noticed... is this a mock-up image or a glitch... the window shows "editing Displays" but the highlighted item on the left is battery and power??

Comment

Sorry if I'm being blunt, but from that screenshot it doesn't seem any different from the ui principles that Gnome already uses (CSD's hamburger menus, etc). So I don't understand what was their problem with Gnome in the first place?
          If Cosmic or that new toolkit they're developing doesn't offer anything new or extraordinary that other desktops/toolkits don't already offer, then I don't understand the point of this whole endeavour and I think it just adds to the Linux desktop fragmentation.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            Sorry if I'm being blunt, but from that screenshot it doesn't seem any different from the ui principles that Gnome already uses (CSD's hamburger menus, etc). So I don't understand what was their problem with Gnome in the first place?
            If Cosmic or that new toolkit they're developing doesn't offer anything new or extraordinary that other desktops/toolkits don't already offer, then I don't understand the point of this whole endeavour and I think it just adds to the Linux desktop fragmentation.
            gtk sucks is the issue, not necessairly the design language but how it works and how a dev works with it

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
              Are you dumb? Those crap are using c, the unsafe language, their program can leak memory and crash, corrupt data, get the sensitive data stolen. Rust is the language that is safe, solve all those problems, and obsoletes everything else, like there's no reason to keep using c/c++ when rust is there.

Comment

Ho great! They have a setting to choose whether you want to organize your workspaces vertically or horizontally. HOW ABOUT WORKSPACE GRID?
                Seriously, workspace grid used to be a standard feature on every Linux DE. Now almost no DE offers it. It's such a convenient feature why did it disappear?

And yes, I know, Gnome can do it, with an extension that's going to break next update.

Comment

Originally posted by MadWatch View Post
                  Ho great! They have a setting to choose whether you want to organize your workspaces vertically or horizontally. HOW ABOUT WORKSPACE GRID?
                  Seriously, workspace grid used to be a standard feature on every Linux DE. Now almost no DE offers it. It's such a convenient feature why did it disappear?

And yes, I know, Gnome can do it, with an extension that's going to break next update.
                  Yeah I loved it

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

gtk sucks is the issue, not necessairly the design language but how it works and how a dev works with it
                    not only over gtk is really the gnome's toolkit, its also that gnome is gnome, not pop_os. pop_os made a lot of changes and used extensions and each gnome release always breaks stuff. so its not surprising at all pop_os ended up going the way of a few distros in making their own desktop environment than continue to release a modified version of gnome to the point its held up like frankestein.

i have a soft spot for gnome. i used gnome for almost two years when 40 came out... but i recently moved over to kde because i didn't want to worry about extensions anymore for basic stuff like a system tray.... i am interested in cosmic but i am turned off by it being yet another toolkit to fragment the already fragment linux eco system.

Comment

Working...
                    X