Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIMP 3.0 Aiming To Release In 2023

Phoronix: GIMP 3.0 Aiming To Release In 2023

The long elusive GIMP 3.0 release that overhauls the UI and ports from GTK2 to GTK3 along with a wealth of other changes after being talked about for a decade could finally see its stable release this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What stops Gimp from getting some sponsorship like Blender does to get more developers and increase the pace? A decade of porting to GTK3 seems to indicate some major problem with Gimp's current development model. Or basically - lack of resources and developers.

Blender gets pretty heavy backing becasue many want to get rid of dependency on Autodesk. Shouldn't many want to get rid of dependency on Adobe too?
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 January 2023, 01:28 AM.

Comment

GIMP 3.0 Aiming To Release in this decade

Comment

There is already talk about gtk4: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/6440

Comment

While I have moved to Krita, which works perfectly with KDE Plasma, and got some serious funding:

Krita is a professional FREE and open source painting program. It is made by artists that want to see affordable art tools for everyone.

It's good that GIMP is advancing too!

Comment

Sponsorship for Gimp?

Oh dear God... not another google_gimp?

Comment

Can we finally get a real way to draw circles?
              I don't even mean it as a meme, drawing circles is actually such a roundabout pain. I've made logos in GIMP and I felt like I was doing rocket science.

Comment

I honestly gave up on GIMP. It's so weird to use. Some basic things I just can't figure out. Krita is my goto.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  While I have moved to Krita, which works perfectly with KDE Plasma, and got some serious funding:

https://krita.org/en/item/intel-beco...e-gold-patron/

It's good that GIMP is advancing too!

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  Can we finally get a real way to draw circles?
                  I don't even mean it as a meme, drawing circles is actually such a roundabout pain. I've made logos in GIMP and I felt like I was doing rocket science.
                  GIMP is an image manipulation program, not a drawing program like Krita. Apples to oranges. Sure you can draw with GIMP and you can manipulate images with Krita, but that's not using the best tool for the job. I use both, but for the job they were designed for. I create with Krita and edit textures with GIMP, though I'm more likely to use Affinity on my Mac with photographs, which I find to be the better tool for photo editing.

Also there's Inkscape, which is meant to create vector graphics like logos. Like I said, right tool for the job.
                  Last edited by stormcrow; 30 January 2023, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                    GIMP is an image manipulation program, not a drawing program like Krita. Apples to oranges. Sure you can draw with GIMP and you can manipulate images with Krita, but that's not using the best tool for the job. I use both, but for the job they were designed for.

Also there's Inkscape, which is meant to create vector graphics like logos. Like I said, right tool for the job.
                    Agreed. Krita works more sanely but it's definitely not as well-suited for image manipulation on GIMP. I still wind up just using Photoshop though because GIMP is so far behind it.

Comment

Working...
                    X