Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPV Player 0.35.1 Released With Wayland & PipeWire Fixes

Phoronix: MPV Player 0.35.1 Released With Wayland & PipeWire Fixes

MPV 0.35.1 is out this weekend as the latest update to this open-source media player developed as a fork originally from MPlayer/mplayer2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to hear the mpv devs took some time to fix bugs. I was a little worried about mpv after 0.35.0 was so bad I had to mask it off my Gentoo system.

Comment

Now, why does the libplacebo package of Arch not get updated for weeks. Annoying. Don't have that issue with statically linked Windows builds...

Comment

Could you provide some official binaries for win mac and linux on the github release page ?
        the way to get the precompiled player is very dodgy.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Now, why does the libplacebo package of Arch not get updated for weeks. Annoying. Don't have that issue with statically linked Windows builds...
          Because Arch maintainers do not bother. It has been a problem with Arch for years. Too many developers simply do not care for the project and are only involved for their self-serving reasons, while they refuse to let in new people to replace them. Many packages take too long to get an update. The only thing you can count on Arch to have in its repos immediately is KDE, everything else may take even many months before it gets updated.

Take for example Netbeans, an IDE i like personally. It is still version 14 in the repos, version 16 upstream. Hasn't been updated for half a year. They just don't see anything wrong with that. They have become Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
            Take for example Netbeans, an IDE i like personally. It is still version 14 in the repos, version 16 upstream. Hasn't been updated for half a year. They just don't see anything wrong with that. They have become Ubuntu.
            id say nearly a quarter of my applications installed are either aur packages or pkgbuild's i've spun up myself at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

id say nearly a quarter of my applications installed are either aur packages or pkgbuild's i've spun up myself at this point
              Yes. And the thing is, if you have to go this route, why not install Ubuntu and flood it with PPAs at this point? What's the difference? I have been using Arch as my main OS on my home desktop for 15 years now, and Arch, even back when it was new, took updates seriously. It wasn't always like this. I am not saying that they were rushing everything ASAP, but they did update in a timely manner. It was one of the main benefits of using it.

Now, you can expect for example LLVM to not be updated until the next upstream version RC is out.... You can expect GNOME to take at least a month (sometimes two). Etc etc.... Other packages like Netbeans may take more than half a year. And i said Netbeans in particular because it is not something that will affect other packages, or that it is hard to build. It is just an IDE. I used to trash talk Ubuntu years ago, for having a very old Netbeans. And it amazes me now that i can deliver the same criticism to Arch...

Comment

Because Arch isn’t rolling release. Use a real rolling release distro like openSUSE rawhide or Fedora tumbleweed

Comment

Yes. And the thing is, if you have to go this route, why not install Ubuntu and flood it with PPAs at this point? What's the difference? I have been using Arch as my main OS on my home desktop for 15 years now, and Arch, even back when it was new, took updates seriously. It wasn't always like this. I am not saying that they were rushing everything ASAP, but they did update in a timely manner. It was one of the main benefits of using it.

Now, you can expect for example LLVM to not be updated until the next upstream version RC is out.... You can expect GNOME to take at least a month (sometimes two). Etc etc.... Other packages like Netbeans may take more than half a year. And i said Netbeans in particular because it is not something that will affect other packages, or that it is hard to build. It is just an IDE. I used to trash talk Ubuntu years ago, for having a very old Netbeans. And it amazes me now that i can deliver the same criticism to Arch...
                  I've actually been debating migrating to fedora rawhide or nobara and using arch inside of distrobox. the only thing that's stopping me is I do a good number of custom packages for dkms, kernel, qemu etc, all larger things I would rather keep easy to mod, and keep on the host OS. but I am really close at this point, I also thought about trying out pop OS since I actually have been testing cosmic for a while and its quite promising (pkgbuilds here if interested) albiet still quite buggy, I do love the hybrid stacking/tiling compositor design

Comment

Because Arch maintainers do not bother. It has been a problem with Arch for years. Too many developers simply do not care for the project and are only involved for their self-serving reasons, while they refuse to let in new people to replace them. Many packages take too long to get an update. The only thing you can count on Arch to have in its repos immediately is KDE, everything else may take even many months before it gets updated.

As far as I can tell (which is still an assumption), is that the maintainers are testing certain things to assure some credibility to the update. A library package is a sensitive node that (in many cases) can cause problems to other packages and screw up a lot of systems if not handled correctly.

Also, not updating fast doesn't mean "do not care", it could mean "taking our time to handle this correctly with the resources we have". At times people need to be aware of the circumstances at play and not just assume that the end-user wishes has to be met at all cost.

Comment

Working...
                    X