X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reba
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

No, I know what I'm doing. The thing freezed and got confused and replaced my file with old save. It's not like you can anticipate when it would freez and burn.

And also, with libreoffice, one crashes, everything else also crashes. If only one doc lost, i wouldn't whine like I do.
    ​​Yo, bro. Do you even version control?

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    So, there's a bug that lost me a deadline. That's a thing that happened. Maybe I would do something else with my free time if it didn't happen. You know, stability is a thing
    Stability and you are talking about office suite what the hell???
    Microsoft has fixed a known issue that was causing Office applications like Word and Excel to crash when working with cloud documents.

The reality here it does not matter of you are using Microsoft Office, Libreoffice ... any office suite sooner or latter update will ruin your day this is why data management policies are so important.

Compared to MS Office and most other office suites libreoffice for faults per year that absolutely ruin your day even using the fresh version is less. This is why the flatpak version does not bother about the stable branch.

The reason why the business partner is recommend by libreoffice organization for those using LibreOffice for money making stuff is that you get Service Level Agreements (SLA) so that when something goes wrong you can contact a firm that employ LibreOffice developers and support staff to address your problem quickly. Unpaid support is not the fastest.

Commerical support versions of libreoffice don't promise perfect stability because that impossible to offer with any office suite because with the complexity of the code base there is always going to be bugs. What commercial support promises with LibreOffice if is something goes wrong you can contact support and have issue address in X amount of time as defined by the SLA.

Yes the latest and the generation behind that Libreoffice offers to users only offers more end user testing on the older version in exchange less current feature set on the older version. This changes the stability very little in fact because there is a massive amount of automated testing done against the libreoffice code base some perform by third parties on LibreOffice project request.

Yes parties like coverity do use their independently developed tools to check the libreoffice code base. Libreoffice project does a lot of work to try to make sure the software is stable.

Reality big complex program 100 percent stable does not exist there are going to be a percentage of users that will have adverse outcomes.

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post

Who uses "their download page" among the readers of this site? Nobody.

And if you are so overstressed by using a "download page", maybe you should leave software installation to other people.
    Last time I checked, there's thing fresh, and there's thing still, both are in arch repo, platform difference doesn't really help.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir

Yo mom
    Real mature.

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Something tells me you were going to miss that deadline regardless of the bug.
    Save often and if you then encounter a bug, you can just swap to another platform if necessary.
    No, I know what I'm doing. The thing freezed and got confused and replaced my file with old save. It's not like you can anticipate when it would freez and burn.

And also, with libreoffice, one crashes, everything else also crashes. If only one doc lost, i wouldn't whine like I do.

​​​​​​​The bug itself is dumb anyway, like i don't even bother to explain.

​​​​​​​I want to love the thing. But these things. Also shilling to companies? Shoving to your face word "community"? "Business" banner? Huh, blender has richer sugar daddy and yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    That's a thing that happened.
    You surely have a backup. No one forced you to do a major upgrade of the software in the middle of a project.
    And again, no Linux user should visit a "download page".

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    So, there's a bug that lost me a deadline. That's a thing that happened. Maybe I would do something else with my free time if it didn't happen. You know, stability is a thing
    Something tells me you were going to miss that deadline regardless of the bug.
    Save often and if you then encounter a bug, you can just swap to another platform if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied

Maybe you should let ChatGPT rewrite it all into smaller words you'd understand. You'd be less confused. Maybe.

Leave a comment:

• mirmirmir
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
    While talented people spend their free time on a software he is using, all he does is whining about "confusion". I really don't like that attitude.

Leave a comment:

• Go_Vulkan
    replied
    While talented people spend their free time on a software he is using, all he does is whining about "confusion". I really don't like that attitude.
    Last edited by Go_Vulkan; 28 January 2023, 10:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X