X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I am just making a guess, which is probably wrong.

40%? Is LibreOffice on Windows that unknown?

(not every Linux user is a Phoronix user)
    Didn't know you were talking about Windows users, seeing as you said "readers of this site".

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied

Libreoffice project has done some stats on users. The ratio between Windows and Linux users using Libreoffice is 20 to 1. That is 20 Windows users to every 1 Linux user by libreoffice collected stats.

This site being 40% Libreoffice would be possible. This site I would expect would have way higher Linux user numbers than %1.1 as well.

Yes if it is 5 percent Linux users here it is possible for 100 percent to be Libreoffice users for something. Here would be possible to be a large outlier.

Largest group in Libreoffice user base is Windows users by quite a large margin.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    How do you figure it being that low? I imagine it'd be at least 40%.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    How many "readers of this site" are LibreOffice's user base? 5%.
    How do you figure it being that low? I imagine it'd be at least 40%.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post

Who uses "their download page" among the readers of this site? Nobody.

And if you are so overstressed by using a "download page", maybe you should leave software installation to other people.
    How many "readers of this site" are LibreOffice's user base? 5%.

Having an easier download page has the potential to increase appeal.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 30 January 2023, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Estranged1906
    replied
    So does that mean LibreOffice will continue to work on Illumos but not anymore on Solaris?

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Indeed. The decent ones have moved over to BSD.

Actually, we have an official OOo port. Well ahead of most Linux distros there.
    I am not sure I would be talking up openoffice that much. There is a reason why openoffice is so far behind on Linux distributions It simple to forget the go-oo build of OpenOffice make by novell that lots of distributions used before Libreoffice existed that was a patch set to improve language and Linux platform support. go-oo is part of what Libreoffice is built from. Openoffice only support 41 languages vs Libreoffice 112 languages.

Decent ones moved to BSD you need to be way more careful with that statement. Take freebsd the manuals are in 6 languages then take debian the manuals are in 30 languages. Yes openbsd and netbsd are worse on language support than freebsd.

Then you look at debian 30 languages. You notice ​Ukrainian just to pick kind of a hot topic. Yes Apache OpenOffice has 41 languages it does not include Ukrainian. Go-oo yes this exists before libreoffice exists happened to support Ukrainian. Yes I could have picked a different language. Debian 30 supported languages in manuals don't align to Apache OpenOffice 41 supported languages. Debian 30 supported languages are a subset of go-oo of past and current day libreoffice supported languages.

There are a lot of decent people who are not going to moved to BSD because BSD does not support their native language. Linux distributions not shipping with OpenOffice mainline predates Libreoffice existing for the same problem. Apache OpenOffice has not addressed the lack of language support.

Yes this language problem is something onlyoffice runs into as well with is the 23 languages onlyoffice supports. Linux distributions defaulting to libreoffice make absolute sense once you look at the language problem.

kpederson freebsd documentation recommends libreoffice over apache openoffice because Apache OpenOffice is more resource heavy. So between poor language support and being resource heavy most Linux distributions go bugger supporting Apache openoffice its far better to put all resources into libreoffice instead.

Language support is something that is simple to overlook but the historic reason why over 5 years before Libreoffice existed majority of linux distributions were using go-oo as their OpenOffice including debian.

Mainline OpenOffice if you look closely at history had lost the majority Linux market share 5 years before Libreoffice existed in a large part due to poor language support.

Major Linux distributions are well ahead of BSDs when it comes to language support.

Leave a comment:

• kpedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Linux users are not a special breed of people, quite the opposite, historically it's Linux users who are expected to do heavy lifting, compile their shit and whatnot.
    Indeed. The decent ones have moved over to BSD.

Actually, we have an official OOo port. Well ahead of most Linux distros there.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    No, I know what I'm doing. The thing freezed and got confused and replaced my file with old save. It's not like you can anticipate when it would freez and burn.
    It doesn't do that; you have to tell it what it loads.
    I want to love the thing. But these things. Also shilling to companies? Shoving to your face word "community"? "Business" banner? Huh, blender has richer sugar daddy and yeah.
    Not sure what you're getting at here.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
    You surely have a backup. No one forced you to do a major upgrade of the software in the middle of a project.
    And again, no Linux user should visit a "download page".
    Linux users are not a special breed of people, quite the opposite, historically it's Linux users who are expected to do heavy lifting, compile their shit and whatnot.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X