• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir

Yo mom
    Real mature.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post

Who uses "their download page" among the readers of this site? Nobody.

And if you are so overstressed by using a "download page", maybe you should leave software installation to other people.
      Last time I checked, there's thing fresh, and there's thing still, both are in arch repo, platform difference doesn't really help.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
        So, there's a bug that lost me a deadline. That's a thing that happened. Maybe I would do something else with my free time if it didn't happen. You know, stability is a thing
        Stability and you are talking about office suite what the hell???
        Microsoft has fixed a known issue that was causing Office applications like Word and Excel to crash when working with cloud documents.

The reality here it does not matter of you are using Microsoft Office, Libreoffice ... any office suite sooner or latter update will ruin your day this is why data management policies are so important.

Compared to MS Office and most other office suites libreoffice for faults per year that absolutely ruin your day even using the fresh version is less. This is why the flatpak version does not bother about the stable branch.

The reason why the business partner is recommend by libreoffice organization for those using LibreOffice for money making stuff is that you get Service Level Agreements (SLA) so that when something goes wrong you can contact a firm that employ LibreOffice developers and support staff to address your problem quickly. Unpaid support is not the fastest.

Commerical support versions of libreoffice don't promise perfect stability because that impossible to offer with any office suite because with the complexity of the code base there is always going to be bugs. What commercial support promises with LibreOffice if is something goes wrong you can contact support and have issue address in X amount of time as defined by the SLA.

Yes the latest and the generation behind that Libreoffice offers to users only offers more end user testing on the older version in exchange less current feature set on the older version. This changes the stability very little in fact because there is a massive amount of automated testing done against the libreoffice code base some perform by third parties on LibreOffice project request.

Yes parties like coverity do use their independently developed tools to check the libreoffice code base. Libreoffice project does a lot of work to try to make sure the software is stable.

Reality big complex program 100 percent stable does not exist there are going to be a percentage of users that will have adverse outcomes.

Comment

No, I know what I'm doing. The thing freezed and got confused and replaced my file with old save. It's not like you can anticipate when it would freez and burn.

And also, with libreoffice, one crashes, everything else also crashes. If only one doc lost, i wouldn't whine like I do.
          ​​Yo, bro. Do you even version control?

Comment

Aah yes, libreoffice. With their confusing 2 or 3 stable releases in their download page, pushing people to use their newest version. I hope they do this not because they expect people to run into bugs with their newest "stable" release, so when people complain, they can say "we told you so, if you want support, you should've gone with our business partners"
            Ordinary users simply install Open Office.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Ordinary users simply install Open Office.
              Hardly. "Ordinary users" simply install Microsoft Office (on Windows) from 5 (10, 15...) years ago.

Comment

I do find LibreOffice's connection to partners a little bit scummy but that aside, this *is* what the open-source community wanted.

Remember 10-15 years ago when we were trying to push OpenOffice to replace Microsoft Office at work and we couldn't because it wasn't "corporate" enough for our upper management bean counters? Well, effectively these SLAs and company backed distributions of it are getting it ready for when Microsoft's product goes cloud only. Yes, again, a little slimy but lets be honest, they have to be to speak the same language as the finance department.

That said, I do use OpenOffice because it is a little lighter and don't let any productivity software go online so most security issues aren't a concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Vulkan View Post
                  And again, no Linux user should visit a "download page".
                  Says you.

Download pages >>>>>> distribution packages made by lazy bums who sometimes throw fits as if their job is so hard.

Comment

From the article:

But for those using the OpenSolaris-derived OpenIndiana, LibreOffice still should work. OpenIndiana x86_64 makes use of the GCC Linux x86_64 bridge implementation.
                    This is actually not correct and based on a wrong assumption made by the LibreOffice developer in the mailing list thread.

The UNO bridge for x86-64 Solaris is actually part of the patch set that the Illumos developers are maintaining in their packaging Github repository.

See: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-us...solaris_x86-64

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyLinuxUser View Post
                      This is actually not correct and based on a wrong assumption made by the LibreOffice developer in the mailing list thread.

The UNO bridge for x86-64 Solaris is actually part of the patch set that the Illumos developers are maintaining in their packaging Github repository.

See: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-us...solaris_x86-64
                      The block of code removed from Libreoffice was for the old Solaris closed source compiler so correct presume gcc code base is only required going forwards. Libreoffice upstream developer has not been seeing any upstream work on the Solaris or Openindana code. There has been zero push from Openindana to upstream that code as well.

Yes you could say wrong assume by Libreoffice developer. But that assume is based on actions from the illumos side not being upstream you can expect bugs at some point to happen as it gets out of alignment.

Comment

Working...
                      X