KDE Sees Many Plasma Wayland Fixes This Week - Plus Spectacle Screen Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    I tried to use KDE Wayland not long ago but still way too many issues for my liking.

For one if your multimonitor setup goes into standby or you turn one monitor off and on again, the panels get all messed up and require a relog. If you resume from monitor suspend in certain situations you can get a black screen on primary monitor.... the list of issues is just too frustrating.
    The first one is one of the things that should be fixed by the redesigned screen handling in 5.27.

The second one I think can still happen. I have that too, some times. Fortunately for me it's fixed by turning that screen off and on again.

Comment

Yeah I'm not too worried. Waiting on AMD HDMI2.1 support before I get more invested in Linux atm (I'm long time linux user but taking break from all the little issues)

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        Yeah I'm not too worried. Waiting on AMD HDMI2.1 support before I get more invested in Linux atm (I'm long time linux user but taking break from all the little issues)
        Switching from HDMI to Displayport was a good decision for me. Since it is a more open standard it will most likely be the better option on linux.

Comment

I can't believe that KDE will finally have a properly functioning clipboard on Wayland. Turns out it wasn't just Ubuntu's fault as I've been told on this forum like 2 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
            I'm hoping they fix at some point is to allow File Search to work correctly on SMB mounts. I have recently started exploring the use of file tags and other extended attributes such as file ratings and comments. It's a feature that COULD be quite useful, except that if you have a large number of files that you want to index and tag, it's not a good idea to be storing them on your local computer (which is the only place that it currently works correctly on). It's still possible to add tags on an SMB share, though they're not searchable. And the "Details" tab on the file properties window is missing, so you can't add a file rating or comments unless you do it through the command line.
            It seems that because of fat/extfat we're still in the dark ages when it comes to using extended file attributes (EFA) OOTB. Which is a shame because they're extremely useful, yet many formats can't rely on them so they have special file formats with headers or other hacks.
            IMHO EFA itself also needs to improve, like defining the least size of EFA a file can support on a given FS, currently they vary a lot and you figure this out by trying to do something and failing, at least that's how I did it.
            Last edited by cl333r; 29 January 2023, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ripper81 View Post

Switching from HDMI to Displayport was a good decision for me. Since it is a more open standard it will most likely be the better option on linux.
              The issue is DisplayPort 2.0 is only in 7000 series cards, and 1.4 does not do 48Gbps! HDMI2.1 is supported on previous gen cards, thus is insanity to not support it. But here we are....

PS. Intel and NVIDIA support HDMI2.1 btw. (as in driver and can connect)

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                It seems that because of fat/extfat we're still in the dark ages when it comes to using extended file attributes (EFA) OOTB. Which is a shame because they're extremely useful, yet many formats can't rely on them so they have special file formats with headers or other hacks.
                IMHO EFA itself also needs to improve, like defining the least size of EFA a file can support on a given FS, currently they vary a lot and you figure this out by trying to do something and failing, at least that's how I did it.
                And currently SSHFS doesn't seem to support extended attributes at all, which is why I switched to SMB. NFS just doesn't strike me as being very secure. But I have already started applying file tags in hopes that the search feature will work in the future. Dolphin can show the tags and file ratings in the file listing, so they're not completely useless at the moment. Tags are easy to add through Dolphin, but a file rating and a file comment can be added through the commands below.

File comment
                setfattr -n user.xdg.comment -v "Text for file comment" filename

File rating (takes a value of 1-10, with 10 being five stars)
                setfattr -n user.baloo.rating -v "10" filename

Another thing that I have found useful is the ability to copy all extended attributes from one file to another, without replacing the target file itself:
                cp --attributes-only --preserve=xattr sourcefile targetfile
                Last edited by Chugworth; 29 January 2023, 11:17 AM.

Comment

I hope Debian 12 is able to include KDE 5.27 (before all their freezing happens), as the bugs still present in KDE 5.26 would make me seriously hesitate before ever installing Debian 12 with KDE - when it finally comes out.

Comment

Guys, is nobody surprised here to see KDE/Plasma fixing issues with Flatpaks installations on BTRFS systems? I mean, Unix used to be a category of systems with small and simple apps dedicated to each do a few things well, with well-defined roles (hopefully).

I am puzzled that this even happens, in a well defined architecture the underlying filesystem and the applications distribution / update method should be isolated from the desktop environment... especially the former from the latter...

Now I understand that BTRFS by virtue of its feature set may have significant implications outside the pure storage semantics, but still this looks like no good architecture / design to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclistefou View Post
                      Guys, is nobody surprised here to see KDE/Plasma fixing issues with Flatpaks installations on BTRFS systems? I mean, Unix used to be a category of systems with small and simple apps dedicated to each do a few things well, with well-defined roles (hopefully).

I am puzzled that this even happens, in a well defined architecture the underlying filesystem and the applications distribution / update method should be isolated from the desktop environment... especially the former from the latter...

Now I understand that BTRFS by virtue of its feature set may have significant implications outside the pure storage semantics, but still this looks like no good architecture / design to me.
                      That has nothing to do with Flatpaks or btrfs for that matter. It's even in the bug report.
                      It's only more pronounced in such cases, due to circumstances.
                      You can provoke the same behavior in other ways, e.g. when updating many files at ones that are watched by KDE apps for change, all of which are wanting to update at once.
                      btrfs might be more prone to such IO loads, but it is also present on other filesystems (e.g. ext4 is noted in the bug report).
                      Doesn't really have that much to do with btrfs features.

It's basically the same as the ticket shop for a popular band opening sales and everybody is storming in to get some. Things will go badly, no matter how good your ticketing system is. It might be mitigated to some degree, but it's going to be bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X