No announcement yet.

KDE Sees Many Plasma Wayland Fixes This Week - Plus Spectacle Screen Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Sees Many Plasma Wayland Fixes This Week - Plus Spectacle Screen Recording

Phoronix: KDE Sees Many Plasma Wayland Fixes This Week - Plus Spectacle Screen Recording

With Plasma 5.27 set to be the last Plasma 5 feature release in the series, KDE developers have been very busy trying to ensure that this desktop update will ship with minimal issues. There's been a ton of bug fixing to land this past week for Plasma 5.27, especially when it comes to the Plasma Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully as many people as possible will try the beta version and report bugs so we'll have a good release.

Comment

Kwin no longer crash

Comment

- Fixing "a whole buttload of weird, random-seeming clipboard issues" that happened under Plasma Wayland.
        Alright! The clipboard has always been a little buggy, though it has definitely improved since the time I started using Plasma Wayland.

I'm hoping they fix the common crashes caused by the tooltips (window previews) in the Task Manager. That bug was introduced at some point and has stayed around for a while. Though I don't know if it might be fixed already since I currently have the Task Manager tooltips turned off because of that.

Another thing I'm hoping they fix at some point is to allow File Search to work correctly on SMB mounts. I have recently started exploring the use of file tags and other extended attributes such as file ratings and comments. It's a feature that COULD be quite useful, except that if you have a large number of files that you want to index and tag, it's not a good idea to be storing them on your local computer (which is the only place that it currently works correctly on). It's still possible to add tags on an SMB share, though they're not searchable. And the "Details" tab on the file properties window is missing, so you can't add a file rating or comments unless you do it through the command line.

Comment

Is Big Screen progressing in any way ?

Comment

I tried KDE on Wayland and it's pretty usable compared to the state it was few versions ago. There are still some plasmashell crashes (at least it can restart quite quickly after crash without taking down entire desktop) and few minor issues but overall experience is pretty good. Not as good as GNOME on Wayland but it's definitely closer and still improving. When it will move to the Qt6 it will be even better as Qt6 will bring some nice improvements.

Comment

Forget Wayland improvements for a bit, I'm really excited for the Spectacle fixes

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
                I'm hoping they fix the common crashes caused by the tooltips (window previews) in the Task Manager. That bug was introduced at some point and has stayed around for a while. Though I don't know if it might be fixed already since I currently have the Task Manager tooltips turned off because of that.
                True, but I'm not too worried about that bug. Plasma crashing is a pitty, but it's not really critical, since nothing (important) gets lost in the process (to my knowledge) and it's back within a second or so.
                Having said that, I don't think I encountered that bug in the beta so far, but as it's a bit random, can't tell you for sure that it's not there anymore.

kwin crashing is a whole different story though, especially on Wayland where kwin crashing means that all of your windows are gone.
                Although to my experience kwin is pretty stable now, in my opinion that's the main Plasma problem on Wayland now, because something happening that kills your whole session is a no-go.
                I know they've been working on it, I hope all of that gets settled soon, because apart from that (and a few rather minor problems) I think that Plasma on Wayland is pretty good nowadays. Been running it for a couple of weeks now and I definitely like the smoother desktop experience compared to x11. No flickering, no weird rendering artifacts, very nice.

Comment

I tried to use KDE Wayland not long ago but still way too many issues for my liking.

For one if your multimonitor setup goes into standby or you turn one monitor off and on again, the panels get all messed up and require a relog. If you resume from monitor suspend in certain situations you can get a black screen on primary monitor.... the list of issues is just too frustrating.

Comment

Quick cropped screenshot dragged into messaging or other webapps is with spectacle is part of my core workflows. I wonder how compatible quick screen recording / drag and drop upload of videos will be. Upload to SMS apps? Upload to slack?
                    Spectacle is massively underrated in messaging use. Also, it's sort of funny that the vestigial "PrtScr" key that pre-dates GUIs has become such a core component of modern workflow.

Screenshot_20230128_234529.png

​​

Comment

Working...
                    X