Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Making It Easier To Install H.264 Codec Support

Phoronix: openSUSE Making It Easier To Install H.264 Codec Support

The openSUSE project in collaboration with Cisco is making it easier to deploy H.264 codec support on openSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Most of distros already provide Openh264... so nothing new or big. Anyway openh264 still can't replace x264 in any project I know of. It seems to be used in Firefox but nothing else uses it.

Comment

So if one has already added the packman repo and installed codecs from there: what happens when one adds the new opensuse repo? Will there be any kind of conflicts?

Comment

I have tested it, but it don't work. :-(
        Sad, because openSUSE with KDE is my favorite Linux-Distribution.
        Ubuntu - which is NOT my favorite distribution - on the other side, have it already preinstalled. And there it is preinstalled also on the Live system.

Comment

This is openSUSE's only major drawback before it can be user-friendly.
          How does Arch Linux distribute full FFmpeg binaries without patent concerns?

Comment

There's already a simpler way of installing codecs: "sudo opi codecs"

Comment

This is so ridiculous. Especially disabling hardware decoding which I paid for and developer of this hardware paid all licensing fees for me. Why I can't use hardware one, where it is as simple as sending a frame and receiving array of pixels without any intermediate patented software implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                This is so ridiculous. Especially disabling hardware decoding which I paid for and developer of this hardware paid all licensing fees for me. Why I can't use hardware one, where it is as simple as sending a frame and receiving array of pixels without any intermediate patented software implementation.
                What does this have to do with the disabling of hw accel (which btw can be re-enabled from packman...)?

Comment

Originally posted by drake23 View Post

What does this have to do with the disabling of hw accel (which btw can be re-enabled from packman...)?
                  everything.

it's about the whole end user experience out of the box.

as long as things are as retarded as they are, year of linux on the desktop ain't coming. instead you'll get just another year of linux distros telling their users to get bent.

Comment

what about mesa and hw accel?

Fedora and OpenSUSE are doing their best to keep Ubuntu and Arch the only "safe" choices in the desktop space.

Comment

Working...
                    X