X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artim
    replied
    Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

I didnt even really consider telemetry and was mostly looking at this in the past: https://privacytests.org/

But that looks fairly awful now too, lmao.

I never even imagined Edge as a privacy friendly browser though, hence it always (at the very least) has to be supplemented with something else.
    Don't forget, Edge is made by the same morons that permeated some of the most used products with telemetry that can't be disabled by the majority of users.

Leave a comment:

• lowflyer
    replied
    To exclusively test with selenium is a little bit unfair.

How to chromium, edge and brave browsers compare?

Leave a comment:

• t1r0nama
    replied
    On my laptop windows works on battery for about 7-8 hours, on linux it only runs for about 5 hours. Even sleep mode takes about 18% overnight compared to windows which takes almost nothing. I am still using linux on it because privacy, stability, security, customization and such. The same thing goes for firefox vs chrome. I do not care if chrome is faster i am still using firefox and will continue to do so. In the future safari will also become like chrome as apple is becoming ad company just like google. Microsoft being microsoft chose chrome if they chose firefox, that would be cool. I hope firefox does not go away as it and it's derivatives are the only browsers out there worth using.

Leave a comment:

• cjcox
    replied
    If you told me that Windows is significantly faster than Linux, I'd still run Linux. Just saying. If you just must run a Webkit, there are alternatives besides Chrome. With that said, there are "good things" I can do with Firefox that just can't be done with Chrome or Webkit*. Depends on how paranoid you are.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

So, video decode acceleration works or not in Chrome? However in my case video decode acceleration has been disabled since 109 release of chrome itself.

In my case I use both ones taking benefits from them.
    Chrome has the feature, but doesnt use it because it can't find matching gpu-memory-buffers.

Leave a comment:

• Jumbotron
    replied
    Thanks Michael as always for your hard work. But browser benchmarks are useless to me as I will never use Chrome unless forced to have it installed for some crappy Progressive Web App (PWA) because an employer of mine decided to farm out a company app to some third rate 1 star rated script farm who can't make a native app. In fact, Chrome on my Android 11 phone has been broken for three consecutive versions on many sites while Firefox with 6 extensions blazes like lightning. So these benchmarks are even less useful as a working Firefox is ALWAYS faster than a stalled and crashing Chrome.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by kozman View Post
    All things considered, even Pi4 is now getting long in the tooth being launched in 2019. At a $100 / 100€ price point, if something that resembles whatever a Pi5 will be and has at least 16GB RAM and even a halfway usable GPU, it'll sell. SBCs are still kinda niche market but the retro gaming community, I feel, is sometimes keeping the whole industry afloat. Yeah, I know people do the odd crazy project with Pis but they really gotta leverage the 64-bit part more if at all possible. For all the fun oddball stuff you can do with a Pi, there isn't enough ubiquity.

Remember when Michael posted that benchmark of 64-bit versus 32-bit Pi? Even on crappy old Pi3 there is a decent amount of perf being left on the table. I'd think by now they'd have straightened out a good amount of that 64-bit support. With Debian looking like it's going to be leveraging all the perf improvements that happened between 5.15 > 6.1 in their next release, Pi Foundation will have a better and more robust offering for Pi3 and newer users when they push out a release based on all that good work. It's already in the works (https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=344246). Kano OS was a lot of fun to play with back when I first got a Pi3 for my kid. It's been many years since I looked at it but it was very slick for what they were trying to do with a Pi. Looks like it's still running Stretch. Damn. It had so much potential but looks like they stopped developing or updating it. Or maybe because of Kanye https://www.theverge.com/23538109/st...kano-computing
    honestly i never did buy any Raspberry Pi not 1 not 2 not3 and not 4 and not pi 400 and so one.

why ??? my computer i write from it right now has 128gb ram and my PC before this nearly 7-8 years old had 32gb ram.
    for me a device with 4gb ram is complete useless for me.
    and for example for the pi 400 there is only a 4gb ram version... yes some people solder 8gb ram on it just to proof you can hack it.

but even pi 4 with 8gb ram is to slow for me. and most GPUs of most of the Pis are complete useless junk without vulkan support...

honestly it looks like the complete community did move away from Broadcom as a SOC supply and the complete Rasperry pi foundation more or less dissolved just my impression...

even pi 4 is 3 or more years old and this means they are more or less death ...

rockchip 3388s devices like orange pi 5 with 8 or 16 or 32gb ram its 3 times faster on the cpu side and the gpu is much faster and supports decent vulkan functionality...

i think the time of the pis is over... the raspberry pi foundation also always used complete outdated chip nodes the pi 4 is 28 nm)​...

the rockchip 3388s is 8nm...

so the raspberry pi's are a complete joke you can not even save money with the pi's because 28nm vs 8nm makes sure the 3388 will win any competition.

Leave a comment:

• kozman
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

right but even the Raspberry Pi 4 is obsolete next month... then you can buy ~140€ orange pi 5 with rockchip rk3388 with multible time higher performance with 16-32gb of ram if you want to...

as you can see the Raspberry pi 4 is obsolete... now you maybe say the rockchip 3388s is to expensive but i think the price will go down quickly.

in 6 month the price of the 3388 is less than 100€ thats for sure.
    All things considered, even Pi4 is now getting long in the tooth being launched in 2019. At a $100 / 100€ price point, if something that resembles whatever a Pi5 will be and has at least 16GB RAM and even a halfway usable GPU, it'll sell. SBCs are still kinda niche market but the retro gaming community, I feel, is sometimes keeping the whole industry afloat. Yeah, I know people do the odd crazy project with Pis but they really gotta leverage the 64-bit part more if at all possible. For all the fun oddball stuff you can do with a Pi, there isn't enough ubiquity.

Remember when Michael posted that benchmark of 64-bit versus 32-bit Pi? Even on crappy old Pi3 there is a decent amount of perf being left on the table. I'd think by now they'd have straightened out a good amount of that 64-bit support. With Debian looking like it's going to be leveraging all the perf improvements that happened between 5.15 > 6.1 in their next release, Pi Foundation will have a better and more robust offering for Pi3 and newer users when they push out a release based on all that good work. It's already in the works (https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=344246). Kano OS was a lot of fun to play with back when I first got a Pi3 for my kid. It's been many years since I looked at it but it was very slick for what they were trying to do with a Pi. Looks like it's still running Stretch. Damn. It had so much potential but looks like they stopped developing or updating it. Or maybe because of Kanye https://www.theverge.com/23538109/st...kano-computing
    Last edited by kozman; 22 January 2023, 10:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by Artim View Post
    I'm not so sure you actually know the laptop market nowadays. Sure, laptops with that much RAM do exist, but they usually cost insane amounts of money. The vast majority of devices can be lucky if they ship with more than 8 GB. That's true for both Europe and northern America.
    Ever heard of SO-DIMM slots with replaceable memory? Here's the system I'm using:

Buy HP EliteBook 840 G9 14" Notebook - WUXGA - 1920 x 1200 - Intel Core i5 12th Gen i5-1235U Deca-core (10 Core) - 16 GB Total RAM - 512 GB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Intel Iris Xe Graphics - In-plane Sw with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Buy Kingston FURY Impact 64GB (2 x 32GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 4800 (PC4 38400) Laptop Memory Model KF548S38IBK264 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I bought both articles from Germany in 11/2022. The price was around 1200 euros. Such wow price..

Sure, ZRAM helps, especially in combination with zstd, but 90 % ZRAM is just insane and I can't imagine how it should not be slowing down your work majorly as the system is constantly compressing and decompressing stuff. And I'm not sure how efficient that can even be done.
    It doesn't work that way. Just try it. Swap file will reserve the allocated memory lazily.

Leave a comment:

• Paradigm Shifter
    replied
    Thanks, brucethemoose for the link to Privacy Tests! Looks like if you remotely care about not handing everyone and their dog your browsing info, Brave or LibreWolf are basically it (at least by default?)

Firefox lost me years ago with the shift to Quantum, now I keep it around only for sites which, for whatever reason, don't like Brave. It took too long for addons I considered essential to port over, then when they did they had far less actual utility. The further UI changes and the fact that I have to sit through s-l-o-o-o-w-l-y a-n-i-m-a-t-i-n-g s-l-i-d-e-s-h-o-w-s every time there is an update just so I can click "Skip" is causing me frustration... from a project I used to actively support. I'm kind of surprised Opera and Vivaldi do so poorly, though.

I'll have to look at LibreWolf.

To be honest, except a few sites, a browser is a browser is a browser for me now. At least on any system I would want to surf the web on. On my work systems I maintain three browsers: Chrome for the webportal (because we moved to G-Suite ), Brave for literally everything else and I keep Firefox hanging around for that odd edge case where Brave doesn't want to work correctly. I tried some of the "light" browsers when tinkering around with an 8GB RPi4... yeah, they're not so "light" and frequently just flat out don't render correctly. So, there we are.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X