No announcement yet.

Firefox 109 vs. Chrome 109 Browser Benchmarks On Ubuntu Linux + Core i9 13900K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the only situations where any of these differences would actually matter are sites so morbidly obese with JS frameworks and ads and whatever as to be unusable even if performance wasn't an issue.

Comment

Thanks for the comparison and benchmark Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
        Google is still sabotaging Linux desktop. VAAPI still doesn't work in Chrome despite
        • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
        So, video decode acceleration works or not in Chrome? However in my case video decode acceleration has been disabled since 109 release of chrome itself.

In my case I use both ones taking benefits from them.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Azrael5; 22 January 2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

If Firefox can stay in this range (I personally mostly care about speedometer), despite the enormous differences in funding, I guess it's good enough to survive - which I find incredible important. It's certainly good enough for me

An area to benchmark that I'd love to see is power consumption during usual browsing/media consumption - AFAIK that's an area both browsers invest a lot of development into but which is unfortunately poorly reflected in the benchmarks at hand.

Comment

you could have tested MS Edge as well...

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              you could have tested MS Edge as well...
              Yeah this sounds like a joke when people bring it up, but its really solid on linux. It seems to be happier with wayland for some reason, the extra features means fewer slow JavaScript extensions to bog the browser down, and its at least a *little* more privacy friendly than Chrome.

Currently I am boucing between Edge, Thorium (which is a great AVX2 Chromium fork but is unfortunately getting kinda stale) and Cachy Browser (an AVX2 librewolf fork), depending on the situation.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 22 January 2023, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

So, video decode acceleration works or not in Chrome? However in my case video decode acceleration has been disabled since 109 release of chrome itself.
                Some features are enabled only for some users. It changed to disabled with new profile. It can work if section Video Acceleration Information contains list of supported codecs and resolutions. It can work sometimes with some command line options and right moon phase.

libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null
                ‚Äč

Comment

Originally posted by f.dittmer View Post
                  Would consider switching to Chrome, but it won't happen until they respect the system's font rendering style... so probably never.
                  There's a workaround which has existed since forever, e.g.

alias cr="FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35 chrome"

Sounds weird to hear about this "issue" from a person who runs Linux which requires workarounds, hacks and tweaks all the f-ing time.

Maybe you chose the wrong OS in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                    Google is still sabotaging Linux desktop. VAAPI still doesn't work in Chrome despite
                    • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
                    Who needs hw acceleration? Chrome is so fast it can decode any video in software and probably saves energy vs decoder ASIC on GPU chips.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                      Firefox is borderline unusable on weak hardware like the Raspberry Pi, whereas Chromium is acceptable. My main machine is currently in repair so I'm using a spare RPi, and it's seriously testing my usual faithful commitment for Firefox.

I get that this is a non-issue once you move up to even basic X86 machines, but it still shows that Firefox code is simply less efficient. I don't know if it's because it's not optimized for ARM.

No, it's more because RPi ARM systems are anemic. They aren't great systems for day to day use nor were they designed to be. Firefox works fine on Apple's M chips; it's a daily driver platform for me.

I just shrugged when I read the benchmarks. There's no way I'm going to use Chrome nor advocate for it no matter how much faster it is. Google claims to isolate the Chrome team from the rest of the company, but that doesn't mean there aren't pressures to conform to Google's ad-centric and telemetric-hungry pro-advertising and privacy-adverse culture. Google Chrome still tries and is usually successful in pushing out pro-Google-interests features or killing standards they don't like. Right now all the "industry" is doing is substituting one monoculture (Google Chrome) for another (Microsoft IE). I didn't bow to it then and I won't do so now.
                      Last edited by stormcrow; 22 January 2023, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X